Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Voters have their say
- 2013 - 961 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- December 2011 - 152 articles
- November 2011 - 151 articles
- October 2011 - 169 articles
- October 27th, 2011 (Thursday) - 31 articles
- October 26th, 2011 (Wednesday) - 2 articles
- October 23rd, 2011 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- October 22nd, 2011 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- October 20th, 2011 (Thursday) - 36 articles
- October 18th, 2011 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- October 13th, 2011 (Thursday) - 46 articles
- October 11th, 2011 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- October 10th, 2011 (Monday) - 1 articles
- October 6th, 2011 (Thursday) - 44 articles
- October 5th, 2011 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- October 2nd, 2011 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 1st, 2011 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- September 2011 - 200 articles
- August 2011 - 156 articles
- July 2011 - 160 articles
- June 2011 - 194 articles
- May 2011 - 166 articles
- April 2011 - 164 articles
- March 2011 - 204 articles
- February 2011 - 151 articles
- January 2011 - 162 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Voters have their say|
A spate of runoffs lay ahead for candidates in several local offices after voters went to the polls Saturday throughout the state.
At the same time, voters delivered Gov. Bobby Jindal a decisive mandate in his bid for a second term. Jindal prevailed over a crowded field of challengers, garnering more than 66 percent of the vote statewide, according to unofficial returns posted on the Louisiana Secretary of State's Web site.
Jay Russell prevailed in his bid to take over the Ouachita Parish Sheriff's Office when Royce Toney leaves office next July. With 52 percent of votes cast, Russell avoided a runoff with former Louisiana State Trooper Cam Douglas.
In the Clerk of Court race, chief deputy clerk of court Louise Bond will face off against former Monroe City clerk of court Alicia Reitzell. In a crowded field of seven candidates, Bond garnered almost 29 percent of the vote to Reitzell's 25 percent of votes cast.
Rounding out the parishwide offices up for grabs Saturday night, Stephanie Smith and Paul Hargrove advanced to a runoff election to determine the next Ouachita Parish Tax Assessor. Smith drew 42 percent of votes cast while Hargrove tallied 35 percent of the vote.
The Ouachita Parish Police Jury will see a bit of a shakeup after Scotty Robinson defeated District A Police Juror Charles Jackson. Of 7,600 votes cast, more than 55 percent went to Robinson. Jackson drew the remaining 45 percent.
In Police Jury District B, incumbent Mack Calhoun handily dispatched a pair of challengers, drawing 66 percent of the vote to best challengers Victor Binford and Lisa Sykes.
District C Police Juror Walt Caldwell also earned another term, with just over 66 percent of votes. Caldwell defeated newcomer Stewart Cathey, who earned 34 percent of votes.
In the race for the state Board of Elementary and Secondary Education, with 55 percent of votes cast, Jay Guillot edged out incumbent Keith Guice.
State Sen. Bob Kostelka won a third and final term over Monroe attorney Jeff Guerriero. Voters swung for Kostelka, who received 52 percent of votes to Guerriero's 48 percent.
In state House of Representatives, District 14, incumbent Rep. Sam Little will have to make up ground if he wants to hold on to his seat. Monroe attorney Jay Morris drew 42 percent of votes cast and will face Little, who placed second in the three-man race with 36 percent of the vote. Michael Echols came in third, with 20 percent of the vote.
If the polls are an indication, voters in western Ouachita Parish are happy with state Rep. Frank Hoffmann. Hoffmann overcame challenger Wayne Trichel, drawing more than 80 percent of the 11,055 votes cast.
In House District 16, Katrina Jackson avoided a runoff, earning 51 percent of the vote over a field of three competitors in that district.
And rounding out the House district races, in District 17, retired educator Billye Burns will face off against attorney Marcus Hunter in the Nov. 19 runoff. Burns received 37 percent of votes cast in that race, to Hunter's 31 percent. Former Monroe City School Board president Brenda Shelling placed third in that race, with 20 percent of the vote. Monroe businessman Otis Chisley came in last, drawing just under 12 percent of the vote.