Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: It takes courage to run for office
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- December 2011 - 152 articles
- November 2011 - 151 articles
- October 2011 - 169 articles
- October 27th, 2011 (Thursday) - 31 articles
- October 26th, 2011 (Wednesday) - 2 articles
- October 23rd, 2011 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- October 22nd, 2011 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- October 20th, 2011 (Thursday) - 36 articles
- October 18th, 2011 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- October 13th, 2011 (Thursday) - 46 articles
- October 11th, 2011 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- October 10th, 2011 (Monday) - 1 articles
- October 6th, 2011 (Thursday) - 44 articles
- October 5th, 2011 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- October 2nd, 2011 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 1st, 2011 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- September 2011 - 200 articles
- August 2011 - 156 articles
- July 2011 - 160 articles
- June 2011 - 194 articles
- May 2011 - 166 articles
- April 2011 - 164 articles
- March 2011 - 204 articles
- February 2011 - 151 articles
- January 2011 - 162 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|It takes courage to run for office|
Running for state representative in 1983 was one of the most challenging experiences that I have ever tackled. My wife gives a loud amen for that.
I must include my wife, Donna, in all areas. She worked with me as a partner every step of the way. We grew extremely close during this demanding and taxing chapters in our lives. You need a good friend like Louis Sanders who will dodge traffic on the Louisville Bridge with you to hand out pamphlets.
Before anyone runs for a public office, they need to have a very intimate discussion with their family. There will be rumors going off like fireworks on the 4th of July. Politics can be brutal. There are no rules. Every tale is considered fair game. What do you hear the old politicians saying, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." I still have a heavy tan and scars where I was sun burned from all the heat that tanned my hide.
For the full story, subscribe to the The Ouachita Citizen's NEW E-Edition!
Robert Charles Payne is an inspirational writer who lives in West Monroe. He can be contacted by e-mailing email@example.com.