Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Iowa too much for Warhawks
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- December 2011 - 152 articles
- November 2011 - 151 articles
- October 2011 - 169 articles
- September 2011 - 200 articles
- September 29th, 2011 (Thursday) - 33 articles
- September 27th, 2011 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- September 25th, 2011 (Sunday) - 3 articles
- September 22nd, 2011 (Thursday) - 33 articles
- September 21st, 2011 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- September 16th, 2011 (Friday) - 2 articles
- September 15th, 2011 (Thursday) - 40 articles
- September 13th, 2011 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- September 12th, 2011 (Monday) - 1 articles
- September 9th, 2011 (Friday) - 1 articles
- September 8th, 2011 (Thursday) - 42 articles
- September 7th, 2011 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- September 4th, 2011 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- September 3rd, 2011 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- September 1st, 2011 (Thursday) - 38 articles
- August 2011 - 156 articles
- July 2011 - 160 articles
- June 2011 - 194 articles
- May 2011 - 166 articles
- April 2011 - 164 articles
- March 2011 - 204 articles
- February 2011 - 151 articles
- January 2011 - 162 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Iowa too much for Warhawks|
IOWA CITY, IOWA - Iowa built a 25-point halftime lead and went on to defeat ULM 45-17 in non-conference action Saturday afternoon at Kinnick Stadium. The game wraps up ULM's challenging non-conference schedule which also featured Florida State and TCU.
The Hawkeyes (3-1) had success through the air as they passed for 273 yards on the afternoon. James Vandenberg completed 21-of-32 pass attempts for 270 yards and three touchdowns. Marvin McNutt led Iowa with seven catches for 100 yards and two scores.
The Warhawks (1-3) gained a season-high 293 yards passing and finished with 352 yards of total offense on the afternoon. Kolton Browning completed 16-of-27 attempts for 131 yards and backup quarterback Cody Wells completed 13-of-17 attempts for 162 yards. Browning also led the Warhawks on the ground with 29 yards on eight carries.
Browning passed Stan Humphries for seventh place on the all-time completions list (300) and Wendal Lowrey for the eighth spot in total offense (3,562 yards).
Vandenberg capped a 9-play, 74-drive by the Hawkeyes to open the game with a 1-yard run on 4th-and goal. ULM responded on the ensuing possession moving 57 yards in 14 plays. Justin Manton's 43-yard field goal pulled the Warhawks to within four, 7-3.
Vandenberg led the Hawkeye offense right back down the field and finished the drive with a 13-yard touchdown toss to McNutt in the corner of the end zone to give Iowa a 14-3 advantage.
After the teams traded punts, the Hawkeyes hit pay dirt once more on Marcus Coker's 3-yard plunge pushed the lead to 21-3 early in the second quarter.
ULM forced the game's only turnover with 5:33 left in the 2nd quarter. Isaiah Newsome recovered a fumble forced by Cameron Blakes at the Iowa 26-yard line. ULM moved the ball deep into Hawkeye territory, but a Browning pass to Brent Leonard on 4th down fell incomplete to halt the drive.
Leonard led the Warhawks with eight catches for 74 yards one week after catching 13 passes at TCU. Tavarese Maye had seven catches for 53 yards and Anthony McCall hauled in four passes for 83 yards.
Iowa made the most of the defensive stop as it covered 80 yards in eight plays to take a 28-3 lead into the half. Vandenberg found McNutt in the end zone from 17 yards out with just over two minutes remaining in the second quarter.
The ULM offense engineered its most effective series of the contest to start the second half. Browning punched the ball in on a 4-yard quarterback draw to cap a 13-play, 71-yard drive. The touchdown moved ULM within three scores, 28-10, with 9:35 to play in the third quarter.
However, Iowa responded once again with another touchdown. Coker scored his second touchdown on the ground, this time on a 2-yard dive, to stretch the lead back to 25 points at 35-10. Coker finished with 113 yards on 18 carries; he is the first player to rush for over 100 yards against ULM this season.
Wells took over the primary duties at quarterback late in the third quarter and efficiently moved ULM 76 yards. The drive was aided by a 25-yard completion on fourth down to Anthony McCall on a broken play. Maye carried the ball across the goal line from a yard out on an end-around to make the score 35-17.
Iowa recovered the subsequent ULM onside kick attempt and needed only three plays to strike for the final touchdown of the game. Vandenberg found Keenan Davis wide open in the end zone on a 23-yard hook up to give the hosts a 42-17 advantage. The Hawkeyes would add a 23-yard field goal by Mike Meyer in the fourth quarter for the final points of the day.
ULM will return to Malone Stadium to host Arkansas State in its Sun Belt Conference opener on Oct. 8 following its first bye week of the season.
Iowa - Vandenberg 1-yard run (Meyer kick), 11:39, 1st 7-0
ULM - Manton 43-yard field goal, 05:40, 1st 7-3
Iowa - Vandenberg 13-yard pass to McNutt (Meyer kick), 01:39, 1st 14-3
Iowa - Coker 4-yard run (Meyer kick), 09:32, 2nd 21-3
Iowa - Vandenberg 17-yard pass to McNutt (Meyer kick), 02:07, 2nd 28-3
ULM - Browning 4-yard run (Manton kick), 09:35, 3rd 28-10
Iowa - Coker 2-yard run (Meyer kick), 06:47, 3rd 35-10
ULM - Maye 1-yard run (Manton kick), 01:56, 3rd 35-17
Iowa - Vandenberg 23-yard pass to Davis (Meyer kick), 00:39, 3rd 42-17
Iowa - Meyer 23-yard field goal, 08:57, 4th 45-17
ULM Game Notes -- Iowa Game
* ULM team captains - WR Brent Leonard, S Nate Brown, P Aaron Munoz
* ULM won the coin toss for the first time this season; the Warhawks kicked off to open the game for the first time this season
* Darius Prelow extended his team-high consecutive game started streak (offense & defense) to 18 games
* Justin Manton's 43-yard field goal on ULM's opening drive of the game was the second of his career and the longest of his career
* Manton's 43-yard field goal was ULM's longest since Radi Jabour booted a 43-yard FG against North Texas on Nov. 7, 2009
* ULM has scored on its opening possession of the game in two straight contests
* ULM has forced a turnover in 25-of-28 games under defensive coordinator Troy Reffett and in all four games this season
* Kolton Browning moved into seventh place on the ULM career pass completions list with 300 passing former Super Bowl quarterback Stan Humphries
* Kolton Browning moved into eighth place on the ULM career total offense list with 3,562 yards
* Kolton Browning's rushing touchdown in the third quarter was the fifth of his career and first of the season
* Tavarese Maye's 1-yard touchdown run in the third quarter was the second of his career and first this season
* ULM scored 14 points in the third quarter against Iowa; the Warhawks had scored just seven second half points all season
* Jyruss Edwards moved into seventh place on the ULM career kickoff return list with 1,025 yards
* ULM's 293 passing yards are the most this season; the previous high was 232 last week at TCU
Report courtesy ulmwarhawks.com