Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Bruised better than broken
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- December 2010 - 176 articles
- November 2010 - 187 articles
- October 2010 - 180 articles
- September 2010 - 198 articles
- August 2010 - 154 articles
- July 2010 - 197 articles
- June 2010 - 148 articles
- May 2010 - 167 articles
- April 2010 - 241 articles
- April 29th, 2010 (Thursday) - 48 articles
- April 28th, 2010 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- April 27th, 2010 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- April 25th, 2010 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- April 23rd, 2010 (Friday) - 3 articles
- April 22nd, 2010 (Thursday) - 31 articles
- April 21st, 2010 (Wednesday) - 2 articles
- April 20th, 2010 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- April 18th, 2010 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- April 16th, 2010 (Friday) - 3 articles
- April 15th, 2010 (Thursday) - 46 articles
- April 14th, 2010 (Wednesday) - 2 articles
- April 12th, 2010 (Monday) - 1 articles
- April 8th, 2010 (Thursday) - 52 articles
- April 7th, 2010 (Wednesday) - 2 articles
- April 5th, 2010 (Monday) - 1 articles
- April 1st, 2010 (Thursday) - 43 articles
- March 2010 - 170 articles
- February 2010 - 167 articles
- January 2010 - 154 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Bruised better than broken|
This old lady is sitting in the bed with the heating pad going and the left leg and thigh elevated. This is both boring and embarrassing.
Old doctor Joe Brown and his wife built our house, which is a white raised clapboard cottage about three-plus feet off the ground built on concrete piers. We moved here in 1990 and the brass grates covering the old floor furnaces were still here and not unattractive. In fact the air conditioning system is attached to some of the grates.
Well, I was on the third inspector looking for termites to begin a new contract when I suggested that he use the grate in my bedroom to just remove and start his termite inspection. About 30 minutes later, the phone rang and the closest house phone is in my bedroom. I ran plowing as fast as I could to get the phone, forgetting that the extermination man was even there, and fell accidentally into the open hole which was uncovered. It hurt so badly that I thought both legs were broken!
For the full column and a bonus recipe, see Page 11A of this week's Citizen.
Subscribe to The Ouachita Citizen, your locally owned newspaper since 1924, by calling (318) 322-3161, ext 201. A one-year subscription costs a low $25 for Ouachita Parish addresses. We honor senior citizens with a discounted $20 per year rate for parish delivery.
Martha Jane Anderson retired from University of Louisiana-Monroe after 35 years of service as Assistant Dean of Students and SGA Advisor. She is married to Patrick H. Anderson Sr., has two children, and four grandchildren.