Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Heartfelt gratitude one of our most powerful offerings
- 2013 - 800 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- November 30th, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- November 29th, 2009 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- November 25th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 29 articles
- November 24th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- November 19th, 2009 (Thursday) - 33 articles
- November 18th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- November 17th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 3 articles
- November 15th, 2009 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- November 13th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- November 12th, 2009 (Thursday) - 38 articles
- November 11th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 2 articles
- November 8th, 2009 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- November 6th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- November 5th, 2009 (Thursday) - 40 articles
- November 3rd, 2009 (Tuesday) - 8 articles
- November 1st, 2009 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Heartfelt gratitude one of our most powerful offerings|
In the Gospel according to Luke we find that toward the end of Jesus' earthly ministry he encounters 10 lepers. These 10 guys are together probably because they have no other choice. All of a sudden financial status, political affiliations and racial differences no longer matter. They are seemingly bonded by their tragedy. Their isolation from the community is not a means of punishment, but rather a means of protecting the community from a highly contagious disease. Right or wrong, good or bad, they are to keep their distance.
Dr. Luke, in keeping with HIPPA guidelines, doesn't offer specifics about these 10 men. All we know is that they stay at a distance and shout, "Jesus, Master, have mercy on us." It would appear that this is how their lives have dwindled — begging from a distance.
One would expect Jesus to respond with compassion. After all, He is known for loving the unlovable and touching the untouchable. However, in this situation He simply shouts back, "Go show yourselves to the priests." In Luke 17:14 we find that "as they went, they were cleansed."
For the full column, see Page 6A of this week's Citizen.
Subscribe to The Ouachita Citizen, your locally owned newspaper since 1924, by calling (318) 322-3161, ext 201. A one-year subscription costs a low $25 for Ouachita Parish addresses. We honor senior citizens with a discounted $20 per year rate for parish delivery.
Jo Ann Cooper is a United Methodist pastor of the LA Conference.