Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Christ desires more than just a healthy relationship with us
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- November 30th, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- November 29th, 2009 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- November 25th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 29 articles
- November 24th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- November 19th, 2009 (Thursday) - 33 articles
- November 18th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- November 17th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 3 articles
- November 15th, 2009 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- November 13th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- November 12th, 2009 (Thursday) - 38 articles
- November 11th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 2 articles
- November 8th, 2009 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- November 6th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- November 5th, 2009 (Thursday) - 40 articles
- November 3rd, 2009 (Tuesday) - 8 articles
- November 1st, 2009 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Christ desires more than just a healthy relationship with us|
"She can talk the horns off a billy-goat." I have repeated that infamous phrase a time or two in my life, but never as a self-portrait — (not until last week). A friend from out-of-state called. We hadn't spoken in quite some time, so we both settled in for a nice catching-up session.
I admit I should appreciate the efforts of Ma Bell more than I do, but talking on the phone is not one of my favorite pastimes. Even so, after quite some time I realized that I had dominated the entire conversation. I then did my best to curtail my domination, but with little success. My friend even muted me — more than once! I'm not sure if my friend took another phone call, made a quick trip to the store, or watched the remainder of Dancing with the Stars, but I must admit, the muting was well-deserved.
Even though I was embarrassed and apologetic, I knew that my friend was a true friend and would suffer the duration of my interminable rambling. Before hanging up I chuckled; "Now I know why you only call once a year." My friend simply responded, "I'll talk to you next week." What a loyal friend have I.
For the rest of Jo Ann Cooper's column, see Page 6A of this week's Citizen.
Subscribe to The Ouachita Citizen, your locally owned newspaper since 1924, by calling (318) 322-3161, ext 201. A one-year subscription costs a low $25 for Ouachita Parish addresses. We honor senior citizens with a discounted $20 per year rate for parish delivery.
Jo Ann Cooper is a United Methodist pastor of the LA Conference.