Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Lions gear up for playoffs
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- October 30th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- October 29th, 2009 (Thursday) - 39 articles
- October 27th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- October 25th, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 23rd, 2009 (Friday) - 2 articles
- October 22nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 37 articles
- October 21st, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- October 17th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- October 16th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- October 15th, 2009 (Thursday) - 35 articles
- October 14th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- October 13th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- October 12th, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- October 11th, 2009 (Sunday) - 4 articles
- October 9th, 2009 (Friday) - 4 articles
- October 8th, 2009 (Thursday) - 44 articles
- October 7th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- October 6th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- October 5th, 2009 (Monday) - 4 articles
- October 3rd, 2009 (Saturday) - 3 articles
- October 1st, 2009 (Thursday) - 46 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Lions gear up for playoffs|
The Ouachita Lions (5-3, 4-1) took another big step toward locking up a playoff spot with a 21-17 come-from-behind victory over the Airline Vikings last week and now host the Southwood Cowboys (4-4, 2-3) Thursday in the next step toward their post season goals.
"We need to keep playing well," Ouachita head coach John Carr said. "If you are not doing the right things and not playing good then what is the point of being in the playoffs? I don't pay any attention to the rankings. We are just concerned about getting better each week."
Ouachita jumped ahead of Airline 6-0 on a 21-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Quintin Wheeler to wide out Tim McNeil to end the first quarter.
Airline then stiffed the Ouachita offense the rest of the first half and added a pair of scores of their own to take a 14-6 lead over Ouachita at halftime.
Ouachita again struggled to move the ball in the third quarter and a 25-yard field goal by Airline's Austin Wheeler gave the Vikings a 17-6 lead going into the fourth quarter.
From there the Lions imposed their will on the Vikings and scored 15 straight points to leave the Vikings stunned and at a loss.
The rally started with a 40-yard fumble return for a score by Teron Bell and Wheeler found wide receiver Justin Ginyard for the two-point conversion pass.
Moments later, Wheeler connected with McNeill for a second touchdown from 35-yards out to win the game.
Wheeler threw for 113 yards on 10-of-21 passing and also added 54 yards rushing. The Ouachita defense held Airline star quarterback Conner Nichols to just 34 yards rushing and 60 yards passing on the night.
Now the Lions face a Southwood team that has had trouble sustaining drives and being a consistent team all the way around this year.
Southwood is on a two-game losing streak that includes losses to West Monroe (48-12) and Captain Shreve last week (40-30).
The team has had their ups and downs on each side of the ball this season. Three times they have been held to 12 points or less by the likes of Bossier, North DeSoto and West Monroe. They have also scored over 30 points and lost two other times — to Captain Shreve last week and Pineville (40-35) on Oct. 2.
Speed and experience are not lacking at Southwood. However, a winning formula is still missing from the program. Ouachita will be trying to establish a more powerful rushing game. They'll also look to limit turnovers after two got away against Airline last week.
106.1 FM will broadcast the game live Thursday beginning at 6:30 p.m.