Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Ouachita slams Byrd, takes on Airline next
- 2013 - 962 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- October 30th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- October 29th, 2009 (Thursday) - 39 articles
- October 27th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- October 25th, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 23rd, 2009 (Friday) - 2 articles
- October 22nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 37 articles
- October 21st, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- October 17th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- October 16th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- October 15th, 2009 (Thursday) - 35 articles
- October 14th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- October 13th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- October 12th, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- October 11th, 2009 (Sunday) - 4 articles
- October 9th, 2009 (Friday) - 4 articles
- October 8th, 2009 (Thursday) - 44 articles
- October 7th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- October 6th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- October 5th, 2009 (Monday) - 4 articles
- October 3rd, 2009 (Saturday) - 3 articles
- October 1st, 2009 (Thursday) - 46 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Ouachita slams Byrd, takes on Airline next|
The Ouachita Lions (4-3, 2-1) got a huge momentum boost last week with a 40-3 demolition of the Byrd Yellow Jackets, and they'll now attempt to turn up the heat against the Airline Vikings in Bossier City Friday.
Ouachita is coming off possibly their most complete game of the season and one that certainly puts them on a course for the playoffs if they take care of business over the next three weeks.
"It was a big win for us," Ouachita Lions head coach John Carr said. "The defense played real well and we were able to run the ball well."
A pleasant surprise for the Lions last week was the re-emergence of Ricky McCarthy as a star running back.
McCarthy rushed for 62 yards and a touchdown aganst Byrd on nine carries.
"The biggest surprise was probably Ricky McCarthy," Carr said. "He ran the ball well and we need that kind of production from him and our running backs if we want to be in the playoffs."
Quarterback Quentin Wheeler led the Lions in all-purpose yards with 104 yards and two touchdowns rushing as well as 92 yards and two touchdowns on 5-of-8 passing. Xavier Wilson caught a 25-yard touchdown pass from Wheeler and Justin Ginyard got a one-yard touchdown strike as well. Ginyard made five catches for 57 yards in the game.
Ouachita controls their own destiny — so to speak — with three final games that they are favored to win, including this week at Airline.
The Vikings feature a strong defensive unit that has given up 14 or less points in four of their seven contests this season.
After a mid-season lull in offensive production that saw them lose to West Monroe 35-6 and Byrd 23-6, Airline bounced back in a big way last week with a 28-6 district win over Pineville.
Airline will be a test for the Ouachita defensive line as they are big and physical up front and will attempt to play ball control runs that will keep the Ouachita offense off of the field.
The rushing game starts with running back Albert Robinson who enjoyed his best outing of the 2009 season last Friday at Pineville.
Airline quarterback Conner Nichols, a SMU commitment, was back last week after missing the Byrd game because of a concussion sustained against West Monroe. The agile Nichols runs the offense with effectiveness and should be back at full strength to face the Lions.
Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. and those not able to attend the game can listen on the radio with 106.1 FM beginning a pre-game show at 6:30 p.m.