Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: West Monroe faces Byrd
- 2013 - 802 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- October 30th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- October 29th, 2009 (Thursday) - 39 articles
- October 27th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- October 25th, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 23rd, 2009 (Friday) - 2 articles
- October 22nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 37 articles
- October 21st, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- October 17th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- October 16th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- October 15th, 2009 (Thursday) - 35 articles
- October 14th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- October 13th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- October 12th, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- October 11th, 2009 (Sunday) - 4 articles
- October 9th, 2009 (Friday) - 4 articles
- October 8th, 2009 (Thursday) - 44 articles
- October 7th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- October 6th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- October 5th, 2009 (Monday) - 4 articles
- October 3rd, 2009 (Saturday) - 3 articles
- October 1st, 2009 (Thursday) - 46 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|West Monroe faces Byrd|
The West Monroe Rebels (7-0, 3-0) continue their quest for a district 1-5A championship this Friday when they travel to C.E. Byrd High School.
The game will be played at Lee Hedges Stadium near Captain Shreve where those two schools share a stadium.
The top-ranked Rebels are coming off a 48-12 win at Southwood last week where the Rebels found themselves in the rare position of trailing early in the game.
Southwood scored the first points of the game on a fumble return for a score by Tim Mosley after quarterback Paul Turner of West Monroe appeared to be down before the ball popped loose. No whistle was blown and the score stood.
Turner got the last laugh however. The senior finished with 113 yards and two touchdowns rushing, as well as completing 9-of-15 pass attempts for 189 yards and a touchdown of 67 yards to Teshadi Talton.
Talton carried the ball five times for 52 yards and sophomore Dennis Goodin made a great varsity debut with 45 yards on five carries for the Rebels.
In all, West Monroe out-gained the Cowboys in total yards, 413-211.
Now West Monroe shifts their focus to the Byrd Yellow Jackets where they will see a different Byrd squad than they are accustomed to playing.
"This Byrd team is different because they throw the ball a lot more," West Monroe head coach Don Shows said. "They have a good quarterback that allows them to do that."
Quarterback Alex Walton is a converted track star who excels in throwing the javelin and now has passed Byrd to a 2-5 mark including a 40-3 loss to Ouachita last week.
Byrd has only gone over 20 points three times this season. They still run a good bit of wing-T offense but with much more passing than fans will be used to seeing from the Yellow Jackets.
With things going their way, the Rebels are not ready to sit back and be complacent just yet.
"We still have some things to work on," Shows said. "We have some offensive linemen that are not stepping right. We have some dropped passes we need to correct as well."
For those not able to travel to Shreveport Friday night, KLIP 105.3 FM will have a live broadcast of the game starting with a pre-game show at 6:30 p.m.