Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Chiefs, Tigers to clash
- 2013 - 844 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- October 30th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- October 29th, 2009 (Thursday) - 39 articles
- October 27th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- October 25th, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 23rd, 2009 (Friday) - 2 articles
- October 22nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 37 articles
- October 21st, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- October 17th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- October 16th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- October 15th, 2009 (Thursday) - 35 articles
- October 14th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- October 13th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- October 12th, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- October 11th, 2009 (Sunday) - 4 articles
- October 9th, 2009 (Friday) - 4 articles
- October 8th, 2009 (Thursday) - 44 articles
- October 7th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- October 6th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- October 5th, 2009 (Monday) - 4 articles
- October 3rd, 2009 (Saturday) - 3 articles
- October 1st, 2009 (Thursday) - 46 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Chiefs, Tigers to clash|
As district races across the parish heat up, none will be as hotly contested as the Neville Tigers visiting the West Ouachita Chiefs this Friday at Red Sims Stadium.
Last week, the West Ouachita Chiefs (2-4, 1-0) downed Wossman, 19-14. Wossman held the Chiefs scoreless in the second half but could not muster any points themselves and a 19-14 West Ouachita halftime advantage carried over to the end of the contest.
Wossman surrendered three passing touchdowns in the game and also surrendered 29 first downs compared to just seven first downs for Wossman.
Chiefs quarterback T.J. Murphy lit up the Wossman defense for 192 yards and three scores on 10-of-17 passing and one interception.
Ray Moss caught a 43-yard strike to open the scoring. Billy Minnifield caught a eight-yard touchdown pass to end the first quarter with the Chiefs ahead 13-7.
Tyler Mims rounded out the scoring for the Chiefs when he caught a second quarter pass from Murphy and raced 15-yards untouched to the end zone for West Ouachita.
Herderrius Scott led the Wossman offense with 44 rushing yards on 10 carries including a second quarter run of 15-yards for a touchdown.
Moss finished the game with 83 yards on three receptions and Minnifield recorded 17 yards receiving and 47 yards on seven carries rushing the football.
Neville was busy dismantling district foe Ruston last week by a score of 17-0.
Sloppy, wet field conditions caused several fumbles and the Neville defense capitalized on Ruston mistakes all night long.
Neville played possibly their most complete defensive game in a dominant performance against their longest running rivals from just down I-20.
"Defensively we used an attitude of bend but don't break," Neville head coach Mickey McCarty said. "We need to be more consistent on offense and this week it is key that we play good sound, assignment football against West Ouachita."
Neville (5-1, 1-0) limited Ruston to just 112 yards of offense (55 rushing, 57 passing) and a total of just eight first downs.Quarterback Taylor Burch completed 9-of-13 pass attempts for 101 yards and a touchdown toss to John Diarse in the first quarter to pace the Tigers.
Running back Ricco Pollard paced the Neville rushing attack with 66 yards on 19 carries and Tyler Buford added 23 yards and a four-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter for Neville.
West Ouachita has welcomed back offensive coordinator Bobby Breen to the coaching staff and because of that, Neville expects a bit more triple option than the Chiefs showed early in the year when they implemented a spread shotgun pass attack. Breen won a state championship running the triple option at West Monroe High School as a quarterback in 1993.
"We saw a little more of the option that Coach (Bobby) Breen likes in their last game," McCarty said. "We will have to be ready to stop their rushing attack and be ready to play on somebody else's turf this week."
Neville has enjoyed three consecutive home games and a bye week sandwiched in for good measure. Now the Chiefs will have the home field advantage against another local district foe.
"It's another big district ball game," McCarty said. "We will have to be ready to go over there and execute."
Star 101.9 FM and 97.7 FM will provide local radio coverage.