Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: West Monroe to square off with Southwood
- 2013 - 962 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- October 30th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- October 29th, 2009 (Thursday) - 39 articles
- October 27th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- October 25th, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 23rd, 2009 (Friday) - 2 articles
- October 22nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 37 articles
- October 21st, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- October 17th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- October 16th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- October 15th, 2009 (Thursday) - 35 articles
- October 14th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- October 13th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- October 12th, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- October 11th, 2009 (Sunday) - 4 articles
- October 9th, 2009 (Friday) - 4 articles
- October 8th, 2009 (Thursday) - 44 articles
- October 7th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- October 6th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- October 5th, 2009 (Monday) - 4 articles
- October 3rd, 2009 (Saturday) - 3 articles
- October 1st, 2009 (Thursday) - 46 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|West Monroe to square off with Southwood|
The West Monroe Rebels (6-0, 3-0 district 1-5A) overcame everything the Ouachita Lions could throw at them in a rare Thursday night district tilt to defeat the Lions 43-12 at Rebel Stadium.
The Rebels opened the scoring with a 47-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Paul Turner to wide receiver Adrian Manning.
Ouachita answered just two minutes later when running back Ricky McCarthy scored on a one-yard touchdown run. It was the culmination of a long drive in which Ouachita converted on a pair of third down plays to keep their drive alive.
West Monroe closed the half with 20 unanswered points in the second quarter.
Running back Tyler Cain ran for two touchdowns — 21 and 28 yards — in the quarter.
Cain finished with 78 yards and two touchdowns on seven carries. Teshadi Talton ran for 74 yards on 12 carries for the Rebels.
Paul Turner scored on a 12-yard run to begin the fourth quarter before another long Ouachita drive added points for The Lions. On that play, quarterback Quinten Wheeler connected with wide receiver Justin Ginyard on a 80-yard strike to pull the Lions to the final margin of 43-12.
Ginyard caught three passes for 93 yards to lead the OPHS offense in all-purpose yards. Jonathan Manning led in receptions with five catches for 40 yards.
The Rebel players did not learn until Wednesday that they would be playing a day early because of the threat of rain in Ouachita Parish. It did not seem to phase the state's top ranked team and 29th nationally ranked squad. It was also a bittersweet victory for the senior class, who could have just played Ouachita, their big rival, for the final time of their high school playing careers.
"It was kind of weird," defensive end Jordan Allen said. "It is always in the back of your mind more or less. Every senior just played their heart out tonight."
Now West Monroe hits the road to Shreveport again for another key district contest.
The Southwood Cowboys (4-2, 2-1) are coming off a victory over Natchitoches Central and feature one of the top scoring rushing attacks in Shreveport this season.
Running back Troy Brooks has scored eight rushing touchdowns in the last three games. Southwood has posted over 30 points in each of their last four games.
KLIP 105.3 FM will broadcast the game live on Friday beginning with a 6:30 p.m. pre-game show.