Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Carroll picks up district win
- 2013 - 845 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- October 30th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- October 29th, 2009 (Thursday) - 39 articles
- October 27th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- October 25th, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 23rd, 2009 (Friday) - 2 articles
- October 22nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 37 articles
- October 21st, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- October 17th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- October 16th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- October 15th, 2009 (Thursday) - 35 articles
- October 14th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- October 13th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- October 12th, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- October 11th, 2009 (Sunday) - 4 articles
- October 9th, 2009 (Friday) - 4 articles
- October 8th, 2009 (Thursday) - 44 articles
- October 7th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- October 6th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- October 5th, 2009 (Monday) - 4 articles
- October 3rd, 2009 (Saturday) - 3 articles
- October 1st, 2009 (Thursday) - 46 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Carroll picks up district win|
The Carroll Bulldogs (5-1) continued their great start to the 2009 season with a 14-7 victory over the Caldwell Spartans last week and now will host district rival Madison Parish this Friday night.
Carroll rushed for 180 yards, including 95 yards on 19 carries by Tyree Hollins and 21 yards on eight carries by all-district quarterback Xavier Gray.
Gray was limited by wet field conditions to completing just 2-of-8 pass attempts for 31 yards.
"Throwing the ball has to get better this week," Carroll head coach Jackie Hamilton said. "Could have been because of a wet ball or wet playing conditions."
Most impressive for Carroll last week was the defensive play of the Bulldogs who limited all-state running back Centarius Arnold to just 53 yards and one touchdown on 16 carries.
Arnold scored the first points of the game on a three-yard touchdown run but was held out of the end zone for the final three quarters of play.
"We knew Caldwell was going to try to run the ball," Hamilton said. "The defense stepped up and played real well for us."
The defense even assisted on the scoreboard against Caldwell when James Cooley picked up a Spartan fumble and rambled 20-yards to pay dirt. A missed extra point allowed Caldwell to hold on to a one-point advantage all the way to the fourth quarter.
Cordell Collins scored after a 13-yard reception from quarterback Xavier Gray to put Carroll ahead for good. Running back Pierre Martin scored on a two-point conversion run in the fourth quarter to give Carroll the victory.
After wet games at Neville and Caldwell that have seen the Carroll passing attack not put up huge numbers, Carroll has worked all week on overcoming the wet elements and still get the job done through the air.
The speed of the backfield by Madison is a concern, but Carroll has played a schedule that has prepared them for the contest. The Bulldogs have a huge momentum swing going that they hope translates to a large Bulldog supporting crowd in the stands at "The Dog Pound" this week. Kickoff is at 7 p.m.