Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: WM shuts outs Richwood, 35-0
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- September 26th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- September 25th, 2009 (Friday) - 2 articles
- September 24th, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- September 23rd, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- September 19th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- September 18th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- September 17th, 2009 (Thursday) - 19 articles
- September 16th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- September 15th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- September 10th, 2009 (Thursday) - 31 articles
- September 9th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- September 6th, 2009 (Sunday) - 3 articles
- September 3rd, 2009 (Thursday) - 30 articles
- September 2nd, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- September 1st, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|WM shuts outs Richwood, 35-0|
The West Monroe Rebels (3-0) remained the top-ranked squad in the Louisiana High School Athletic Association Class 5A polls this week after a 35-0 victory over the Richwood Rams.
Wet, rainy conditions made for a long night of fumbles and miscues for both squads, but the Rebels made the most of their opportunities while also pitching a shutout of the Richwood offense that came into the game averaging 30 points per game.
Without starting running back Greg Hudson, the Richwood offense never got on track even with several long runs by quarterback Anthony Abrams that got them as close as the 19-yard line.
The West Monroe defense has limited opponents to 13.3 points per game through three contests this season.
"We knew how the conditions would be," Richwood head coach Warren Trimble said. "We just have to learn from this and learn how to play in rainy weather."
West Monroe was also playing without one of their main offensive weapons as starting quarterback Paul Turner was sidelined with a high ankle sprain following a week two victory over another local rival, Neville.
Sophomore Conner Osborne made his first start of his high school career and made a solid debut for the first-place Rebels.
The Rebels opened the game on a six-play, 64-yard touchdown drive that was capped by a Doncorius Powell touchdown plunge, his second of the regular season.
Osborne went on a 14-yard option keeper for a touchdown moments after the Rebel defense forced a punt to set up another Rebel score. Osborne scored on another option run from five yards away in the second quarter.
"I was a little anxious because I knew the weather was going to be bad," Conner Osborne said. "I just tried to keep my hands dry and really concentrate on not putting the ball on the turf."
Running back Teshadi Talton scored his third rushing touchdown of the season just before halftime as he ran in from nine yards away to put the Rebels up 28-0 at the break.
Osborne was the new kid on the block, but got rave reviews from the coaching staff and could start the district opener against Captain Shreve this Friday night at Rebel Stadium.
"I thought he just did a phenomenal job," West Monroe offensive coordinator Glenn Hunt said. "He is just a sophomore and he managed the game well and protected the ball well in some real bad conditions out here."
Now the Rebels turn their attention to the Captain Shreve Gators (2-1) as the teams open district 1-5A competition.
Captain Shreve came to Ouachita Parish and roughed up the West Ouachita Chiefs last Friday with a 28-8 victory over the local foe.
Terrell Jordan and Brandon Wilson have averaged over 100 yards each this season and combined for three rushing touchdowns against West Ouachita last week.
Captain Shreve quarterback Jordan Barnett has not had as much pressure on him this year because of the solid rushing attack being established so early in the season.
He does have three touchdowns, including one at West Ouachita to wide receiver Johnny Reisz.
Kickoff at Rebel Stadium is scheduled for 7 p.m. and KLIP 105.3 FM will carry the game live on the radio beginning with a 6:30 p.m. pre-game show.