Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Rebels, Rams clash Friday
- 2013 - 961 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- September 26th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- September 25th, 2009 (Friday) - 2 articles
- September 24th, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- September 23rd, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- September 19th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- September 18th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- September 17th, 2009 (Thursday) - 19 articles
- September 16th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- September 15th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- September 10th, 2009 (Thursday) - 31 articles
- September 9th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- September 6th, 2009 (Sunday) - 3 articles
- September 3rd, 2009 (Thursday) - 30 articles
- September 2nd, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- September 1st, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Rebels, Rams clash Friday|
After a hard fought victory in a classic battle against one local rival, the West Monroe Rebels (2-0) move on to another local slugfest as they host the Richwood Rams (1-1) at 7 p.m. Friday night at Rebel Stadium in West Monroe.
This will be the first meeting on the football field between West Monroe and Richwood since Richwood reopened in 2000.
West Monroe got a 22-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Paul Turner to running back Tyler Cain standing near the back of the end zone with just 41 seconds left in regulation to get past the Neville Tigers 30-27.
"It was just an honor to play in this rivalry," West Monroe quarterback Paul Turner said. "We called mayday and we just had to get the job done."
Battling a high ankle sprain from early in the second quarter going forward, Turner turned in one of the most classic performances in West Monroe history as he led the Rebels on a game winning drive that saw him limp around and complete 3-of-5 pass attempts on the final drive, including a fourth down conversion to keep hope alive for the home-standing Rebels.
The ankle injury will likely keep Turner out of action this week. Sophomore signal caller Conner Osborne will get the start in the event that Turner cannot play.
Turner was 7-of-12 for 88 yards and one touchdown through the air and added 67 yards and a five-yard touchdown that opened up the scoring in the first quarter last week against Neville.
West Monroe stood tall defensively in the first half and led 23-7 at halftime before Neville scored 20 unanswered points to take a 27-23 lead with 9:21 remaining in the fourth quarter. Neville quarterback Taylor Burch was 13-of-30 passing for 282 yards and three touchdowns and one interception. The West Monroe defense was able to stifle the Neville rushing game as they gained just 22 yards on 14 carries.
Richwood will come to West Monroe with a bit of a chip on their shoulder and want a chance at redemption after a 24-12 loss to Bastrop last week.
Richwood overcame an early 10-0 deficit and led Bastrop 12-10 at halftime before Bastrop took control in the third quarter. Chris Wheeler led the Richwood rushing attack with 55 yards on 19 carries. Richwood quarterback Anthony Abraham will be a duel threat that the West Monroe defense will have contain to stop the Rams on offense.
Abraham rushed for 49 yards on 10 carries and also completed 6-of-27 pass attempts for 115 yards. Abraham connected with Marcies Davis on a 23-yard touchdown strike near the end of the first quarter.
The Richwood defense has also been solid this season as they have surrendered just 12 points per game.
Quardarrius White scored on a blocked punt that he scooped up and returned eight yards for a score in the second quarter last week against Bastrop.
After surrendering almost 300 yards through the air to Neville last week, West Monroe will certainly have a few wide receivers to keep their eyes on when Richwood comes to town.
Larry Cooks caught 4 passes for 104 yards to lead Richwood in receptions last week. Cooks can break a big play at anytime as can Marcies Davis, who has caught a touchdown pass in each Richwood contest so far this season.