Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Coach hopes Rams hungry for wins
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- July 30th, 2009 (Thursday) - 20 articles
- July 29th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- July 24th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- July 23rd, 2009 (Thursday) - 18 articles
- July 22nd, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- July 21st, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- July 17th, 2009 (Friday) - 11 articles
- July 16th, 2009 (Thursday) - 4 articles
- July 15th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 8 articles
- July 14th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 3 articles
- July 11th, 2009 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- July 10th, 2009 (Friday) - 6 articles
- July 9th, 2009 (Thursday) - 20 articles
- July 8th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- July 7th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- July 2nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Coach hopes Rams hungry for wins|
The Richwood Rams have hit the weight room hard in these hot summer months. Just as every local team prepares to head into the local humidity with helmets and pads popping, the Rams have been lifting weights and lifting each other's spirits recently in hopes of turning a 2008 heartache into 2009 glory on the gridiron.
Richwood is coming off a 9-3 season in which they claimed the district championship. The Rams lost t to eventual state runner-up Notre Dame 16-12 in the quarterfinals of the Class 3A football playoffs
"The guys have been lifting and running real hard to get ready for the start of fall practice," Richwood head coach Warren Trimble said. "It is a matter of just trying to get faster and stronger as much as we can."
Trimble is voicing some concern this summer over the younger role players on the team not coming into the weight room and working as hard as the coaching staff would like to see.
"I am a little disappointed in the younger guys," Trimble said. "They dropped off a little bit this summer in workouts."
The biggest question marks coming into spring practice are still persisting in the Richwood community this summer.
The Rams are still not set at quarterback, and they will have to replace two starting offensive linemen who graduated. They'll also need to place some key contributors to be consistent playmakers in the defensive secondary.
"Right now, I do not want to name any kids," Trimble said. "The quarterback and secondary positions are still wide-open as we enter fall practice. Whoever steps up, we hope we find a leader either vocal or by playing ability."
Richwood is under the direction of strength coach Keith Moncriff this summer. Moncriff has the team working hard on agility drills as well as heavy lifting to build muscle mass along the front lines.
"Keith is working with them right now," Trimble said. "He has done a tremendous job for us."
Richwood is not in the business of reinventing the way they train for the upcoming season, however they do have their schedule for getting players into the gym and pumping the iron.
"We do a lot to get stronger and faster," Trimble said. "Most of the stuff we do is universal in football circles."
Additions will also be coming to the Richwood coaching staff soon. Trimble was not ready to announce any of the names at press time, but he said offers are on the table.
"We have a couple of guys that we won't name right now," Trimble said. "They have not signed contracts as of yet."
With offensive linemen Charles Sumbler graduating and defensive tackle Rashad Givens moving on, the trenches will have a whole new look when fall practice begins on Aug. 3.
Trimble is hoping that the experiences gained from reaching the quarterfinals last year will benefit all of the returning Rams in 2009.
"We were so close," Trimble said. "Hopefully our guys are a little hungrier this year from the experience."