Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: WM All-Stars finish third in state tournament
- 2013 - 844 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- July 30th, 2009 (Thursday) - 20 articles
- July 29th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- July 24th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- July 23rd, 2009 (Thursday) - 18 articles
- July 22nd, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- July 21st, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- July 17th, 2009 (Friday) - 11 articles
- July 16th, 2009 (Thursday) - 4 articles
- July 15th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 8 articles
- July 14th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 3 articles
- July 11th, 2009 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- July 10th, 2009 (Friday) - 6 articles
- July 9th, 2009 (Thursday) - 20 articles
- July 8th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- July 7th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- July 2nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|WM All-Stars finish third in state tournament|
The West Monroe North All-Stars took home third-place at the Division III Pitching Machine World Series over the weekend.
"We are real proud of all of our boys," head coach Greg Kahmann. "We played good defense and had some timely hits."
The West Monroe squad was one of just two north Louisiana teams to qualify for the 14-team tournament.
The tournament was first split into two, seven-team brackets where the top two teams in each bracket went on to the championship round.
West Monroe North opened the tournament with an 8-4 victory over Nacogdoches, Texas.
Texarkana was next up on the docket for the West Monroe team and the bats really came alive in a 14-6 win for the local team.
The West Monroe North All-Stars had their first setback on Saturday when Panola County defeated the team by a score of 15-6.
"They had a lot of hitting power," Kahmann said.
West Monroe North bounced back later in the day with a 10-8 victory over Ashtown, Ark. Pitching and defense kept the game close and then the West Monroe bats heated up in vintage fashion that earned them the win.
In the pool championship game, Morehouse Parish and West Monroe North went back and forth until Morehouse scored the decisive run late in the contest 8-7.
Just by getting into the championship game, West Monroe North qualified for the championship bracket that included Bossier Parish, Morehouse Parish, and Gilmore, Texas, with a double-elimination format.
The championship round started with major fireworks as Bossier slipped by West Monroe in a true slugfest, 20-12. Bossier eventually went on to win the Division III World Series.
"We hit the ball a lot better. We continued to play good defense," Kahmann said. "Bossier constantly was getting extra base hits and getting kids in scoring position. When their hitters are constantly putting the ball in the gap they continued to get big innings. We gave up five or six runs in a couple innings, we scored big some too but they did it more."
The team had to play seven games in two days, but did manage to beat Morehouse 9-8 with a late inning single by Austin Acree that gave WM North a 9-8 victory. It was the first win in four attempts for the local team against Morehouse Parish this season.
"The guys were a little tired," Kahmann said. "They had to play four games on Monday."
West Monroe was eventually eliminated by Gilmore, Texas, after a 15-6 setback.
"We had great plays at catcher all week that really stood out," Kahmann said. "Evan Sheppard and Kevin Hawthorne played great at that position for us."
Luke Farrar, Garrett Kahmann, Kent Berry, Austin Ackry and Caleb Crockett all also stood out in the scorebooks as having fantastic tournaments.
For photos, see this week's edition of The Ouachita Citizen