Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: NFL alumni recognize Jones with 'difference maker' award
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- July 30th, 2009 (Thursday) - 20 articles
- July 29th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- July 24th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- July 23rd, 2009 (Thursday) - 18 articles
- July 22nd, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- July 21st, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- July 17th, 2009 (Friday) - 11 articles
- July 16th, 2009 (Thursday) - 4 articles
- July 15th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 8 articles
- July 14th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 3 articles
- July 11th, 2009 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- July 10th, 2009 (Friday) - 6 articles
- July 9th, 2009 (Thursday) - 20 articles
- July 8th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- July 7th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- July 2nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|NFL alumni recognize Jones with 'difference maker' award|
Fourth Judicial District Attorney Jerry Jones was a recipient of the NFL Alumni Association's Legends and Kids 2009 Difference Maker Award Saturday during the Grambling Legends Sports Hall of Fame induction.
It's an honor Jones says might be the highlight of his career.
"I was so honored to be in the same building as some of these people I've watched as a child on TV play football, basketball and baseball," Jones said. "It was so wonderful."
"There was one particular person I wanted to meet and that was (former NBA star) Willis Reed, and I got to meet him," Jones continued. "What I really wanted was for my son to meet him, and he did get to meet him.
"It was quite an experience. I got to speak to the crowd, and the good thing was I knew a lot of members of the crowd because they were local people who came to see the legends get inducted. It was like speaking to a group of friends. It was very emotional for me.
"Most people toil all their lives, like our great school teachers, who work their entire lives and dedicate their lives to kids and get no recognition."
Jones has served as District Attorney since 1991. During his tenure he has worked with thousands of children from across the community.
"I never expected recognition, but to get it, it is such an honor," Jones said. "It was a very humbling experience to be recognized for that. I brought with me people in my office who work very closely with children, and I recognized them."
The Legends and Kids Difference Maker Award was presented by the NFL Alumni Atlanta Chapter and Youth United for Prosperity. It is presented to "local and national heroes" for their dedication to better their community, especially by helping young people.
"It's an honor beyond any honor I have ever expected," Jones explained. "You do what I do … you're not for honors. You do it because you believe in it. It's just like that school teacher. They don't do it for honors or recognition. They do it because it is what they love doing. I do this because this is what I love doing.
"This was the most humbling experience of my life. Awards like this are rare, and I certainly have never received one, and I am eternally grateful the National Football Alumni Association saw to it to award me as a difference maker. To say it's the highlight of a career is not overstating it."