Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: WM North to play in Region III World Series
- 2013 - 961 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- July 30th, 2009 (Thursday) - 20 articles
- July 29th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- July 24th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- July 23rd, 2009 (Thursday) - 18 articles
- July 22nd, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- July 21st, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- July 17th, 2009 (Friday) - 11 articles
- July 16th, 2009 (Thursday) - 4 articles
- July 15th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 8 articles
- July 14th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 3 articles
- July 11th, 2009 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- July 10th, 2009 (Friday) - 6 articles
- July 9th, 2009 (Thursday) - 20 articles
- July 8th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- July 7th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- July 2nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|WM North to play in Region III World Series|
Teamwork has taken the West Monroe North All-Star baseball team all the way to the Region III Pitching Machine World Series this weekend.
The 7- and 8 year-old squad is coached by Greg Kahmann and has showcased timely hitting and incredible defense on their way to a second-place finish at the state tournament last week in DeRidder.
"I want to emphasize that we are a 'team' and our coaches have taught the boys that we win and lose as a team," Kahmann said. "Every player, at one time or another, has contributed to our success."
The hit parade for the team starts with the first two batters in the order, Tanner Zordan and Garrett Kahmann, who have been on base early and often to help build early leads for the team.
Luke Farrar, Kent Berry, Austin Acree, Caleb Crockett and Zach Lenard have come next in the order to put together big timely hits to score runners and lead in the RBI totals. Evan Shepherd, Brodie Graham, Tucker Moore, Jon Mical Hill, Cayden Pierce and Daniel Hawthorne solidify the bottom of the batting order and each had big hits during critical situations.
The team may be best known for their defense. The squad has turned some potential hits from the opposing team into clutch defensive outs that has kept the team advancing throughout the summer.
"Defensively, we truly play as a team," Kahmann said. "We teach that each player from the catcher, to shortstop, to the outfield has a job to do on every play and in order to win everyone has do to their job."
Some kids are currently shuffled around from the positions they played prior to getting on the all-star squad about a month ago.
"Several of the boys have had to learn a new position on this All-Star Team," Kahmann said. "And they have done a great job."
In the district tournament where they faced stiff West Monroe all-star teams, the team advanced through with flying colors and was one of two teams from the area to advance to the state tournament.
"We had some great teams right here in this area," Kahmann said. "We felt that got us ready to play anyone this summer."
At the district and state tournaments, the team won three games in one day to advance on to the next tournament.
"We won three games in one day and finished 2nd in our pool to qualify for the Region III Word Series," Kahmann said. "The reason we are able to win those games is that we played as a team."
The coaching staff has not been alone in helping the boys to their successes this summer.
"Obviously, all of this could not work without a great bunch of parents and grandparents, who have had to deal with the heat, a lot of practices, and traveling to games," Kahmann noted. "They have been supportive and a big part of our success. My wife, Katie, who actually runs everything behind the scenes, deserves a big thank you."
The team begins World Series play Saturday at 10:30 a.m. against Nacogdoches, Texas. The tournament will be played in Minden.
For photos, see Page 1B of this week's edition of The Ouachita Citizen