Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: LSU to retire legends' jerseys
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- May 31st, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- May 30th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- May 28th, 2009 (Thursday) - 23 articles
- May 27th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 6 articles
- May 26th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 3 articles
- May 24th, 2009 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- May 23rd, 2009 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- May 22nd, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- May 21st, 2009 (Thursday) - 15 articles
- May 20th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 8 articles
- May 19th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- May 16th, 2009 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- May 15th, 2009 (Friday) - 2 articles
- May 14th, 2009 (Thursday) - 32 articles
- May 13th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- May 12th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- May 11th, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- May 10th, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- May 9th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- May 8th, 2009 (Friday) - 5 articles
- May 7th, 2009 (Thursday) - 37 articles
- May 6th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 8 articles
- May 5th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- May 4th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- May 1st, 2009 (Friday) - 4 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|LSU to retire legends' jerseys|
The jerseys of LSU legends Tommy Casanova, Ben McDonald and Rudy Macklin have been retired, LSU director of athletics Joe Alleva announced Saturday.
The three LSU sports legends join an elite group of former athletes and coaches whose jerseys have been retired in the 116-year history of LSU Athletics.
Only five other individuals in LSU history have had their jerseys retired, including Pete Maravich, Bob Pettit and Shaquille O'Neal in basketball, Billy Cannon in football and Skip Bertman in baseball.
The jerseys of Casanova, McDonald and Macklin were retired as a result of a unanimous vote of the LSU Athletic Hall of Fame Selection Committee on Friday. They will each be honored at future LSU sporting events on dates to be announced.
"This is one of the highest honors that can be bestowed on a former LSU athlete and these individuals are truly deserving of this recognition," said Alleva. "Tommy Casanova, Ben McDonald and Rudy Macklin distinguished themselves during their LSU athletic careers and continue to represent LSU with pride and dignity. This is a very significant honor in LSU athletics history."
Tommy Casanova is the only three-time All-American in the history of LSU football and is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame.Casanova, who played under legendary LSU head coach Charles McClendon, is one of just two three-time All-SEC performers from LSU. He played six seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals of the NFL while earning his medical degree. He is now an ophthalmologist in Crowley.
Ben McDonald won the prestigious Golden Spikes Award, given annually to the nation's most outstanding player, in 1989 and is a member of the College Baseball Hall of Fame. He led LSU to two College World Series appearances under head coach Skip Bertman and helped set the stage for LSU's string of national titles in the 1990s. McDonald also lettered as an LSU basketball player as a member of the 1986-87 Tiger hoops squad that advanced to the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament.
Rudy Macklin was a two-time basketball All-American selection during his Tiger career from 1976-81 during which time he became LSU's all-time leading rebounder with 1,276 boards and the second-leading scorer in school history behind only the legendary Pete Maravich with 2,080 points..
To have a jersey retired at LSU, an athlete must have completed intercollegiate competition for LSU a minimum of five years prior to nomination. Athletes must have demonstrated truly unusual and outstanding accomplishments, exceeding and in addition to all criteria used for Hall of Fame selection.
The athletic performance must be considered unique, and should be based on the total LSU career. Nominees must have a unanimous vote of support from the Hall of Fame committee.