Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Will scouts come calling?
- 2013 - 961 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- April 30th, 2009 (Thursday) - 31 articles
- April 29th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- April 28th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- April 27th, 2009 (Monday) - 2 articles
- April 26th, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- April 25th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- April 24th, 2009 (Friday) - 3 articles
- April 23rd, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- April 22nd, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- April 21st, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- April 20th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- April 18th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- April 17th, 2009 (Friday) - 3 articles
- April 16th, 2009 (Thursday) - 37 articles
- April 15th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- April 14th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- April 13th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- April 12th, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- April 11th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- April 9th, 2009 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- April 8th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- April 7th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- April 5th, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- April 4th, 2009 (Saturday) - 3 articles
- April 3rd, 2009 (Friday) - 3 articles
- April 2nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 39 articles
- April 1st, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Will scouts come calling?|
So I'm surfing the LSUsports.net Web site and I come across LSU Football's Prospective Student-Athlete Questionnaire.
Surely this is not how you come about the top recruiting class in the nation?
Can't you just see Les Miles kicked back in his office chair going, "Hey, let me check out this Russell Sheppard kid."
Anyway, I thought it would be fun to fill this thing out. Hey, you never know when they might start recruiting for the old-timers game.
The first part is for the prospect's high school coach.
Great, there are 100-plus high school coaches having to deal with teen-agers whose parents think they are the greatest athlete in the world because of what they did in T-Ball. "Sure, I'll fill it out, Mrs. Cleaver. Yes ma'am, I remember when little Johnny rushed for 300 yards in that pee wee football game. Tell Ward I said hey." All the while thinking to himself, "Coach Miles is not going to talk to me again if I put what they expect me to put."
So after the standard filling out of name and address I get to offensive position, defensive position, specialties and then come to height and weight.
Well, heck you are going to lie about in the program, so I'll just put 6-foot-4 and 250 pounds. There's also a space for 40, so I just put 4.4. Bet I'll be getting a call on that cell phone number I listed real quick and in a hurry.
Jersey Number: Gosh, gotta put No. 1. Don't want them to think I'll be intimidated up there.
Next comes personal information. LSU People You Know: Skip Bertman and chancellor Dr. Michael Martin. That oughta get me off the bench as a freshman.
Past academic information and on to athletic information.
Previous injuries: Are you serious? Stumped my toe kicking a 65-yard field goal to win the pee wee football league title.
Please list in order your top three universities of your choice.
Well, since you didn't ask them: Southern Cal, Notre Dame and Florida.
I figure that cell phone oughta be ringing any time soon. Oops, gotta go. Rivals.com is on the other line. They must have a pretty good computer hacker. I'll be out of the country until signing day. Just tell Les, Nick, Urban and Pete I'm still weighing my options.
Joey Martin is sports editor of the Concordia Sentinel in Ferriday/Vidalia. The Concordia Sentinel is a sister publication of The Franklin Sun in Winnsboro and The Ouachita Citizen in Monroe/West Monroe. Martin can be reached by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.