Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Little things make big difference
- 2013 - 962 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- April 30th, 2009 (Thursday) - 31 articles
- April 29th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- April 28th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- April 27th, 2009 (Monday) - 2 articles
- April 26th, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- April 25th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- April 24th, 2009 (Friday) - 3 articles
- April 23rd, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- April 22nd, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- April 21st, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- April 20th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- April 18th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- April 17th, 2009 (Friday) - 3 articles
- April 16th, 2009 (Thursday) - 37 articles
- April 15th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- April 14th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- April 13th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- April 12th, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- April 11th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- April 9th, 2009 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- April 8th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- April 7th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- April 5th, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- April 4th, 2009 (Saturday) - 3 articles
- April 3rd, 2009 (Friday) - 3 articles
- April 2nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 39 articles
- April 1st, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Little things make big difference|
Do you want to make a difference in the world? You do not have to do something big to make a difference. For it is the little things that can make the big difference.
What is the difference between barely missing a plane and barely catching a plane? It is a great big difference. What is the difference between barely landing on the run way and barely missing the run way? It is a great big difference. What is the difference between being barely alive and barely dead? What a big difference it is. What is the difference between being barely pregnant and not being pregnant at all? It is a great big difference — ask any woman. What is the difference between barely missing a field goal and barely making the field goal to decide the outcome of the game? It is a great big difference.
One of the most important things that you can do is to be of service to mankind. What are some services that you could perform that can make a difference? Mentor a child. Write letters to the men and women in service. Write letters of appreciation to the veterans. Write a congratulatory letter to those who have achieved some accomplishment, or who have become recognized in the community.
Write a letter to the parents of children who have been distinguished for an achievement. Send them the newspaper article with a congratulatory letter. Write a letter to those who need encouraging. Write a letter to those who have helped you in some way. The reasons for writing a letter are endless.
Coach a T-ball team. Donate blood. Help the hungry. Volunteer for organizations that help the poor. Teach a Sunday school class. Volunteer for visitation to the sick. Visit the elderly. Make phone calls to those who are sick, discouraged, or have just lost a loved one. Adopt a pet. There are millions of animals that are euthanized every year. The ways that you can be of service are limitless.
You don't have to be the president of the United States to make a difference. You don't have to be a celebrity to make a difference. All you have to do is be of service to your fellow man.
You will also discover that being of service to others is also a way of being of service to yourself. You can not give without receiving. Or you could say that if you give enough people what they want then you will receive what you want. It just works that way. Or as Earl Nightingale would say, "It is the strangest secret." Or remember what Jesus said 2,000 years ago, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Being of service to others is one of the keys to enjoying life and being a happy person.
Paul Revere made the famous ride to warn people that the British were coming, but on that same night William Dawes was making a similar ride. People listened to Revere, but not to Dawes. What was the difference? Paul Revere had been an accomplished networker. A lot of people knew Paul Revere and believed in him. They listened to Revere's warning, but not Dawes. Not many people knew of him. It was the little thing that made the big difference.
Scientists discovered that the smallest of things can trigger a wave of change. At 211 degrees, water is hot. At 212 degrees water boils, and boiling water causes steam, and steam can power a locomotive. That one extra degree makes all the difference in the world.
What are the little things that you can do that can make a great big difference?
Robert Charles Payne is an inspirational writer who lives in West Monroe. He can be contacted by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.