Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Nicholls uses eight pitchers to contain LSU, 3-1
- 2013 - 962 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- April 30th, 2009 (Thursday) - 31 articles
- April 29th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- April 28th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- April 27th, 2009 (Monday) - 2 articles
- April 26th, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- April 25th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- April 24th, 2009 (Friday) - 3 articles
- April 23rd, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- April 22nd, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- April 21st, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- April 20th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- April 18th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- April 17th, 2009 (Friday) - 3 articles
- April 16th, 2009 (Thursday) - 37 articles
- April 15th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- April 14th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- April 13th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- April 12th, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- April 11th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- April 9th, 2009 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- April 8th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- April 7th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- April 5th, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- April 4th, 2009 (Saturday) - 3 articles
- April 3rd, 2009 (Friday) - 3 articles
- April 2nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 39 articles
- April 1st, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Nicholls uses eight pitchers to contain LSU, 3-1|
BATON ROUGE -- A three-run fourth and six shutout innings thrown by six different Colonel relievers was enough to lift Nicholls State past top-ranked LSU, 3-1, Wednesday night in Alex Box Stadium.
Nicholls State (17-18) defeated LSU (27-10) for the first time in Baton Rouge since 1989. The win broke a 17-game losing streak for the Colonels against LSU dating back to 1994.
The Colonels' pitching staff kept the Tigers off balance as they threw a different pitcher each inning from the third inning on. Six different relievers held LSU scoreless from the fourth through the ninth innings.
Nicholls State allowed only four hits while forcing the Tigers into 16 groundball outs in the contest.
"We didn't make a few plays when we needed to," LSU head coach Paul Mainieri said. "The next thing you know they have a three-run rally, and with the way we were swinging the bat it was enough for them.
"It was frustrating, but congratulations to Nicholls State. They came in here and beat us and they deserved the win and we have no excuses."
Blake Dean led the Tigers offensively, going 2-for-4 with two doubles.
LSU took a 1-0 lead in the third when third baseman Derek Helenihi hit a sacrifice fly to center to score Buzzy Haydel from third.
The Colonels tied the score 1-1 in the fourth when right fielder Scott Mosley laced a single up the middle to score second baseman Keith Kulbeth, who walked two batters earlier.
Nicholls St. took the lead when the next batter, Tyler Minto, lined his second single of the night to right field to score left fielder Josh Swenson and put the Colonels up 2-1. The next batter, Adam Miley grounded out to first, scoring Mosley and making the score 3-1.
After surrendering three runs in the fourth, starter Chris Matulis fought back to retire the side in order in the fifth, before giving way to reliever Ben Alsup in the sixth.
Matulis (4-2) threw five innings allowing three runs on four hits, while walking one and striking out five.
Meanwhile, LSU relievers Ben Alsup, Nolan Cain and Matty Ott combined to throw four shutout innings, allowing only one hit and striking out seven.
The Tigers resume SEC play when they host Tennessee in a three-game series beginning Friday at 7 p.m. CT in Alex Box Stadium.
Nicholls State 3, LSU 1 (Apr 15, 2009 at Baton Rouge, La.)
Nicholls State...... 000 300 000 - 3 5 0 (17-18)
LSU.................... 001 000 000 - 1 4 0 (27-10)
Pitchers: Nicholls State - Delatte, Brad; Harding, Ryan(3); Erwin, Drew(4); Dickerson, Dale(5);
Guidroz, Lance(6); Cooper, Ryan(7); Dupuis, Lance(8); Larson, Ross(9). LSU - Chris Matulis;
Ben Alsup(6); Nolan Cain(9); Matty Ott(9).
Win-Harding, Ryan(1-0) Save-Larson, Ross(6) Loss-Chris Matulis(4-2) T-2:15 A-10011
Actual Attendance: 5,792
(Report courtesy of lsusports.net)