Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Finish your race, no matter what happens
- 2013 - 845 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- April 30th, 2009 (Thursday) - 31 articles
- April 29th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- April 28th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- April 27th, 2009 (Monday) - 2 articles
- April 26th, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- April 25th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- April 24th, 2009 (Friday) - 3 articles
- April 23rd, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- April 22nd, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- April 21st, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- April 20th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- April 18th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- April 17th, 2009 (Friday) - 3 articles
- April 16th, 2009 (Thursday) - 37 articles
- April 15th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- April 14th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- April 13th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- April 12th, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- April 11th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- April 9th, 2009 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- April 8th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- April 7th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- April 5th, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- April 4th, 2009 (Saturday) - 3 articles
- April 3rd, 2009 (Friday) - 3 articles
- April 2nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 39 articles
- April 1st, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Finish your race, no matter what happens|
I read about four fascinating people this week. Their achievements are extraordinary. They are models for all of those who have overcome to finish their race.
Willard Wigan is 50 years old. Willard can not read or write. He was once considered an illiterate failure. He states that he has a teacher to thank for his success. He said that she made him feel very small. That he was a nothing. She ridiculed and embarrassed him in front of the class.
Since his handicap of supposed illiteracy kept him from the mainstream, he withdrew into his own world of creations. He began creating micro-art to prove that there was no such thing as too small.
Willard is an artist, or better known as micro-sculpturer. He creates art on the inside of the head of a needle. No, I did not get that wrong. He constructs his art on the inside of a needle. Yes, that small hole where the thread goes through the eye of the needle. Yes, you read it right. Some even consider Wigan's art as the Eighth Wonder of the World. He paints the caricatures with the hair of a dead fly. Some of his works are: The Wizard of Oz; The Stature of Liberty, Elvis Presley and The Titanic.
This 50-year-old man has had the final word with his teacher. He sold his works for $11.2 million dollars. Wigan states that he learned from his life's difficulties. What an amazing story. What an incredible man.
The second person, Erik Weihenmayer, has climbed the seven summits, the tallest peaks on seven continents. He has scaled the El Capitan and skied down the tallest mountains in Europe. He is also a superior paraglider. These achievements alone are remarkable, but what makes these feats so incredible is that Erik is blind. When Erik is not out accomplishing some great feat, he is a motivational speaker and author.
Jessica Cox, age 25, was born without arms. From infancy her feet became her hands. The words "I can't" and "impossible" were removed from her vocabulary at a very young age. She lives a normal life using her feet as others use their hands. She is the first pilot licensed to fly using only her feet for the steering. She also drives a car and has a black belt in Tae Kwon-Do. And guess what? Her driver's license is unrestricted.
Liz Murry was raised as a homeless person most of her life. Her mother and father were both cocaine addicts. Murry was taking care of herself at an early age when she lived on the streets with groups of homeless teenagers. Having a desire to escape this enslaved life style, she entered The Humanitarian Preparatory Academy at age 17. Knowing that she had some catching up to do, Murry finished a four-year course in two years with an A average. She has become a celebrity due to her exceptional success against almost impossible odds. A movie "Homeless To Harvard" has been made about her life.
Overcomers have that unexplainable inner drive that compels them to remove any hardships that have been placed before them. John writes about the overcomer in the Holy Bible in the book of Revelation. He mentions the overcomer seven times in two chapters and the rewards that go to those who overcome. Life is about being tested and overcoming the odds that have been placed before you. God says, "For those who overcome, I will give." Remember it is not about if you won the race, but what you overcame to finish the race.
Now I encourage you to get up and finish your race — no matter what.
Robert Charles Payne is an inspirational writer who lives in West Monroe. He can be contacted by e-mailing email@example.com.