Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Two vie for Sterlington alderman post
- 2013 - 961 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- April 30th, 2009 (Thursday) - 31 articles
- April 29th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- April 28th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- April 27th, 2009 (Monday) - 2 articles
- April 26th, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- April 25th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- April 24th, 2009 (Friday) - 3 articles
- April 23rd, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- April 22nd, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- April 21st, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- April 20th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- April 18th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- April 17th, 2009 (Friday) - 3 articles
- April 16th, 2009 (Thursday) - 37 articles
- April 15th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- April 14th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- April 13th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- April 12th, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- April 11th, 2009 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- April 9th, 2009 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- April 8th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- April 7th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- April 5th, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- April 4th, 2009 (Saturday) - 3 articles
- April 3rd, 2009 (Friday) - 3 articles
- April 2nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 39 articles
- April 1st, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Two vie for Sterlington alderman post|
Two candidates will square off Saturday in a special election to fill a vacant seat on the Sterlington Board of Aldermen.
Caesar Velasquez and Les Harger were the only two candidates to qualify for the race to fill the remainder of Monty Lowery's term. Lowery resigned last year when he moved out of state. His seat was filled in the interim by former alderman Jayne Bullock, who did not qualify for the April 4 election.
Harger said he's campaigned door to door to meet Sterlington voters. He said he would continue knocking on doors through election day.
"I haven't made it all the way around the town yet," Harger said. "I'm going to try to get out and go to the rest of the town."
Harger operates a lawn care business in Sterlington and said he decided to run for an alderman post to improve his community.
"The public has no voice right now and, mainly, I ran just to help out the public in our little town," Harger said. "I want to help them if they have a problem to get their needs met."
Velasquez said he ran for alderman because he hopes to rid the community of the effects brought by a recent spate of bad publicity.
"Sterlington is a good community with great things on its horizon, and with good leadership we can overcome the issues and provide the type of atmosphere that will make it the place to be," said Velasquez, a 25-year resident of Sterlington who works for Dow Chemical Corp.
Velasquez cited his business experience as one of the attributes he will bring to the job, if elected.
"Having a long business background I want to provide the type of strong leadership needed to guide Sterlington through its growth and ensure the success of the decisions that will have an impact on the future generations of Sterlington residents," Velasquez said.
Harger expressed optimism for the weekend's contest but added that no matter who comes out on top, the winner would be the town of Sterlington.
"Either way, a good man will be elected," Harger said. "It doesn't matter who wins; the town will be okay."
Polls open at 6 a.m. and close at 8 p.m. Saturday.
The winner of the race will be sworn in before the board of aldermen's April 14 meeting.