Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Rayville meeting focus includes Ouachita Parish
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- March 31st, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- March 30th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- March 29th, 2009 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- March 28th, 2009 (Saturday) - 4 articles
- March 27th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- March 26th, 2009 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- March 25th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- March 24th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- March 23rd, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- March 22nd, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- March 21st, 2009 (Saturday) - 6 articles
- March 19th, 2009 (Thursday) - 35 articles
- March 18th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- March 17th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- March 16th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- March 14th, 2009 (Saturday) - 4 articles
- March 13th, 2009 (Friday) - 2 articles
- March 12th, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- March 11th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 15 articles
- March 10th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 3 articles
- March 5th, 2009 (Thursday) - 31 articles
- March 4th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- March 3rd, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- March 2nd, 2009 (Monday) - 2 articles
- March 1st, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Rayville meeting focus includes Ouachita Parish|
The Louisiana Delta Initiative is inviting community and governmental leaders to "One Voice: Communities Moving from Poverty to Prosperity" from 1-3:30 p.m. Thursday, April 2 at the Rayville Civic Center in Rayville.
Committees on education, health care, jobs and entrepreneurship, and infrastructure/ broadband connectivity will present action plans on improving access to these areas.
The LSU AgCenter and Southern University Ag Center have led the development of Louisiana Delta Initiative in collaboration with existing economic development groups in the region. The group was formed to act on state Sen. Francis Thompson's 2007 legislation that called for regional economic development in northeast Louisiana, where one in four people live in poverty, said Dr. James Barnes, director of the LSU AgCenter's Delta Rural Development Center.
Thompson will speak at 1:45 p.m. during the April 2 event.
Barnes recruited a team of community and economic development professionals to address poverty issues. He said the mission of the team is to research, evaluate and determine the most critical issues facing rural areas in 12 parishes – Caldwell, Catahoula, Concordia, East Carroll, Franklin, Madison, Morehouse, Ouachita, Pointe Coupee, Richland, Tensas and West Carroll.
Barnes charged the team with identifying existing resources and developing an action plan to identify "best practices" to reduce poverty.
The team has completed that initial task and is prepared to introduce a plan of action, Barnes said. "We hope the ideas shared will be met with support, acceptance and encouragement," he said.
"We hope those attending realize these are concepts which will require further development and more involvement by others in the region to bring about real change. This is the beginning, not the end of the process," said Glenn Dixon, an agent with the Southern University Ag Center.
Establishing a rural entrepreneurship program and a leadership program, the first two priorities of Act 347, have been accomplished, Barnes said. The LSU AgCenter, the Southern University Ag Center and Louisiana Economic Development collaborated to offer training on how to start an e-business. Several classes have been delivered.
In addition, the LSU AgCenter and SU Ag Center collaborated with Entergy Corp. to develop two leadership programs – Lead Louisiana and Lead Louisiana II.
The organization has presented Lead Louisiana programs in Tensas and Richland parishes, and more e-business and leadership courses are planned for other areas of the region, Barnes said.
Other network partners include area mayors and development districts, the Northeast Louisiana Economic Alliance, chambers of commerce and educators.
To learn more about the Louisiana Delta Initiative, contact Barnes at (318) 428-3571 or email@example.com. The group's Web site is www.lsuagcenter.com/drdc. An agenda is available at Http://louisianadeltainitiative.blogspot.com.