Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Warhawks blast past Southern Miss
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- March 31st, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- March 30th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- March 29th, 2009 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- March 28th, 2009 (Saturday) - 4 articles
- March 27th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- March 26th, 2009 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- March 25th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- March 24th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- March 23rd, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- March 22nd, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- March 21st, 2009 (Saturday) - 6 articles
- March 19th, 2009 (Thursday) - 35 articles
- March 18th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- March 17th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- March 16th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- March 14th, 2009 (Saturday) - 4 articles
- March 13th, 2009 (Friday) - 2 articles
- March 12th, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- March 11th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 15 articles
- March 10th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 3 articles
- March 5th, 2009 (Thursday) - 31 articles
- March 4th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- March 3rd, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- March 2nd, 2009 (Monday) - 2 articles
- March 1st, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Warhawks blast past Southern Miss|
ULM News Services
Don Williams tossed a complete game four-hitter as ULM blew past Southern Miss 9-2 Tuesday night at Pete Taylor Park.
Williams (2-0) faced just five batters over the minimum as he issued just two walks and got the Golden Eagles to ground into a double play — two of Southern Miss' four hits came in the final inning of the game. The junior finished the game with four strike outs and becomes the first Warhawk pitcher to throw a complete game since Jared Jennings went the distance against Troy on May 11, 2008.
After neither team could muster a base runner in the opening frame, the Warhawks (13-10) exploded for six runs over the next three innings.
Matt Collins led off the second drawing a walk and then Jordy Poche tripled to right field to plate the first run of the game. Ryan McMillan followed with a single to right to score Poche. Poche extended the ULM lead out to 3-0 with a high chopper back to the pitcher with the bases loaded in the third.
Collins finished the game 3-for-3 from the plate and has gone 5-for-6 since his walk-off home run against Arkansas State on Sunday. He entered the game ranked 15th in the country with 38 base hits on the season.
The Warhawks kept the pressure on in the fourth as Nick Wade and Josh Gill led off the inning with a double and a single. One out later, Jon Prevost laced a double down the left-field line to score both runners and give the Warhawks a 6-0 lead.
Prevost added a two-run homer in the top of the eighth inning scoring Kelvin York who reached on a pinch-hit single. Over ULM's last seven games, which have been played in the past eight days, Prevost has six home runs, two doubles, a triple, 16 RBIs and has scored 16 runs.
After a pair of scoreless frames, the ULM bats got back to work in the seventh inning. Ben Soignier led off the inning with a single and moved to third on a double by Collins. Matt Laird got in the mix with a single through the left side of the infield to increase the ULM lead out to 7-1.
This is the second straight victory for the Warhawks over Southern Miss in Hattiesburg and the visitors have now four straight games in the series.
Williams held the Golden Eagles (13-9) without a hit over the first four innings of the game. Joey Archer, USM's 14th batter of the game, was the first to break through with a solo home run to center field to lead off the fifth inning. The Golden Eagles pieced together a pair of hits in the ninth for their other run of the night.
Scott Copeland (1-4) took the loss for Southern Miss allowing three runs on three hits in two innings of work.
The Warhawks return to Sun Belt Conference play this weekend as they travel to Boca Raton, Fla., for three games at Florida Atlantic.