Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: New coach for the Irish?
- 2013 - 961 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- March 31st, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- March 30th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- March 29th, 2009 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- March 28th, 2009 (Saturday) - 4 articles
- March 27th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- March 26th, 2009 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- March 25th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- March 24th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- March 23rd, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- March 22nd, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- March 21st, 2009 (Saturday) - 6 articles
- March 19th, 2009 (Thursday) - 35 articles
- March 18th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- March 17th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- March 16th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- March 14th, 2009 (Saturday) - 4 articles
- March 13th, 2009 (Friday) - 2 articles
- March 12th, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- March 11th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 15 articles
- March 10th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 3 articles
- March 5th, 2009 (Thursday) - 31 articles
- March 4th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- March 3rd, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- March 2nd, 2009 (Monday) - 2 articles
- March 1st, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|New coach for the Irish?|
I don't mean to wish any bad luck on the Irish (what's wrong with that saying?), but I would like to see Notre Dame finish with a losing record this season for a selfish reason. I think it would be the story of the year to see who Notre Dame would hire as its next coach.
I think Charlie Weis is a great guy and will be a good collegiate coach. He can obviously recruit. But Irish eyes will be watching closely this year.
My bad wishes for the Irish have nothing to do with not liking Notre Dame. I still enjoy watching Rudy. But imagine the possibilities.
Would Notre Dame go after Nick Saban? Hey, here's a guy from the Midwest who is Irish Catholic.
I don't think Saban would give any other job a passing thought except Notre Dame. You can basically forget about the NFL. Saban would drool over the national recruiting base Notre Dame has for its arsenal.
Notre Dame would certainly have to come up with a big name after bungling things with Ty Willingham and Weis, if he doesn't have a good season.
How about Pete Carroll?
He certainly has to be tired of having to finish with a perfect record to have a chance to play for a national title.
And the guy has a huge ego.
Urban Meyer? What does he have to prove in Florida anymore? Win a title at Notre Dame and your name will be up there with Knute Rockne and Bear Bryant.
Les Miles? Hey, Michigan was interested. And Miles saw the other side of LSU fans last season.
But somehow that doesn't seem to be a good fit. And he would never upset the Michigan folks any more than he did after turning them down. Take the Notre Dame job? He would have to sneak into the Great Lakes state.
Bobby Bowden? Just kidding. Trying to give the man a break to clean up his image. But he would have the luxury of getting pep talks from Lou Holtz. Or make that pep gibberish. Wonder how much his Saint Bobby book is selling for now on eBay?
So what other coaches may be on the hot seat?
How about Steve Kragthorpe at Louisville? The Cardinals went 6-6 last year and missed out on a bowl game for the first time in 10 years.
Al Groh at Virginia did not lead his Cavaliers to a bowl game, the only team in the ACC besides Duke who didn't play in the postseason. Not a good thing when you are compared to Duke when you are not talking about basketball.
Bret Bielema at Wisconsin is another one watching his back.
And we can't talk about coaches without mentioning Gene Chizik of Auburn. Poor guy didn't seem to have a prayer until he brought in an exceptional coaching staff.
But he still better win soon.
And how long will the folks in Michigan allow Rich Rodriguez to rebuild?
Getting back to the SEC, can Steve Spurrier survive another subpar year?
It's going to be another interesting season. These eyes will be tuned more toward South Bend this season. Oh, the possibilities.