Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Richwood heads to state tourney
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- March 31st, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- March 30th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- March 29th, 2009 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- March 28th, 2009 (Saturday) - 4 articles
- March 27th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- March 26th, 2009 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- March 25th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- March 24th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- March 23rd, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- March 22nd, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- March 21st, 2009 (Saturday) - 6 articles
- March 19th, 2009 (Thursday) - 35 articles
- March 18th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- March 17th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- March 16th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- March 14th, 2009 (Saturday) - 4 articles
- March 13th, 2009 (Friday) - 2 articles
- March 12th, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- March 11th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 15 articles
- March 10th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 3 articles
- March 5th, 2009 (Thursday) - 31 articles
- March 4th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- March 3rd, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- March 2nd, 2009 (Monday) - 2 articles
- March 1st, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Richwood heads to state tourney|
The Richwood Rams are headed back to the Top 28 after a decisive victory over their biggest rivals, the Wossman Wildcats.
The Rams beat Wossman 67-61 in front of one of the largest crowds in Ouachita Parish basketball memory. Nearly 500 fans were turned away at the door because the gym could not seat the number of fans wanting in on this battle of Class 3A titans.
The win by Richwood avenges the Class 3A state championship game loss to Wossman last season in Lafayette.
Richwood set the tone early with pressure defense that got them easy transition baskets. Richwood made a three-point shot from half-court in the final seconds of the first quarter to lead 22-14 after one quarter of play.
The Richwood lead ballooned to as many as 14 in the second half before the Wildcats began a furious comeback that almost sent Wossman back to the Class 3A semi-final round.
Wossman cut the Richwood lead to six with just over one minute to play and then three points when Martez Sellars calmly drained a trey from the top of the key.
Richwood missed free throws down the stretch that could have cost them another shot at the state championship, but Wossman could not convert a three-point attempt with under a minute to play and Richwood wrapped up the game at the charity stripe.
Marcies Davis scored 19 points to lead Richwood. Davis has been a spark plug to ignite the Richwood offense during the playoffs and he had one more big performance to give the hometown fans at the Woodshed.
Richwood (22-11) will now play 3A's top seed in Plaquemine High School in the semi-final round. Plaquemine (29-3) beat Lutcher 47-43 last week to advance to the Top 28.
Each classification will have the top-seed in the Top 28 tournament this week. The winner of the game will play the winner of the Patterson versus Vidalia contest in the 3A championship game on Saturday in Lafayette.
Maquel Robinson, 5-10 senior, leads Plaquemine with 13.4 points per game. Another senior, 6-2 forward Deryl Lewis is averaging 11.3 points and over 10 rebounds per contest for the Green Devils.
Wossman beat Plaquemine in the semi-final last year in Lafayette before winning the Class 3A state championship.