Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Local scholarship honors Jerry Stovall
- 2013 - 961 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- March 31st, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- March 30th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- March 29th, 2009 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- March 28th, 2009 (Saturday) - 4 articles
- March 27th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- March 26th, 2009 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- March 25th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- March 24th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- March 23rd, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- March 22nd, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- March 21st, 2009 (Saturday) - 6 articles
- March 19th, 2009 (Thursday) - 35 articles
- March 18th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- March 17th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- March 16th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- March 14th, 2009 (Saturday) - 4 articles
- March 13th, 2009 (Friday) - 2 articles
- March 12th, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- March 11th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 15 articles
- March 10th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 3 articles
- March 5th, 2009 (Thursday) - 31 articles
- March 4th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- March 3rd, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- March 2nd, 2009 (Monday) - 2 articles
- March 1st, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Local scholarship honors Jerry Stovall|
On Thursday, the Monroe chapter of the Tiger Athletic Foundation will dedicate a scholarship in the name of famed local football player Jerry Stovall .
The first of its kind in Northeast Louisiana, the scholarship will be one of over 20 such scholarship donations available to the LSU athletic department.
"We received Jerry's jersey in a frame at the game against Ole Miss this year," said Dr. Tommy Lolley. "We were able to go to people in the community and they were generous in giving to fund the scholarship."
The minimum amount to begin an endowed scholarship with the TAF is $100,000. It is possible the Monroe chapter will add to the scholarship in the future if possible.
The scholarship endowed in Stoval's name is the first one in northeast Louisiana.
Dr. Mike Nolan, president of the local TAF chapter, will be present with TAF members at Portico Bar & Grill in Monroe Thursday at 4:30 p.m. to dedicate the jersey and hang it on the wall of the popular eatery.
Stovall graduated from West Monroe High School in 1959. He later became the starting running back at LSU and garnered All-American honors in 1962.
Stovall was the runner-up in Heisman Trophy voting in 1962. He finished 89 votes behind Oregon State's Terry Baker.
Stovall was selected second overall in the 1963 NFL draft by the St. Louis Cardinals. He played defensive back and had 18 interceptions in 97 games in his professional career. He was selected to pro bowls in 1966, 1967 and 1969.
Stovall returned to LSU as an assistant coach. He was thrust into the head coach role when coach Bo Rein disappeared along with his depressurized plane over the Atlantic Ocean in 1980.
LSU went 22-21-2 under Stovall's lead. The run included the 1983 Orange Bowl in a season where the Tigers beat Alabama, Florida and Florida State before losing to the Nebraska Cornhuskers.