Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Fair Park celebrates 60th anniversary
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- March 31st, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- March 30th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- March 29th, 2009 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- March 28th, 2009 (Saturday) - 4 articles
- March 27th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- March 26th, 2009 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- March 25th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- March 24th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- March 23rd, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- March 22nd, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- March 21st, 2009 (Saturday) - 6 articles
- March 19th, 2009 (Thursday) - 35 articles
- March 18th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- March 17th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- March 16th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- March 14th, 2009 (Saturday) - 4 articles
- March 13th, 2009 (Friday) - 2 articles
- March 12th, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- March 11th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 15 articles
- March 10th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 3 articles
- March 5th, 2009 (Thursday) - 31 articles
- March 4th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- March 3rd, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- March 2nd, 2009 (Monday) - 2 articles
- March 1st, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Fair Park celebrates 60th anniversary|
"The Spirit of Fair Park" will guide the 60 anniversary celebration of Fair Park Baptist Church on Sunday, March 15, as members and friends come together at 10:30 a.m. in the family ministry building to celebrate.
The pastor of Fair Park, Rev. Waymond Warren, said the public is invited.
The morning service will emphasize "The Spirit of Fair Park," which has led since the church's founding in 1949. Past, present, and future highlights will be presented.
The program will feature special music, prayer and testimonies. A picnic-style lunch will be served following the service, and tours of the facilities will be available.
Members participate in various projects, including mission trips to Alaska, Mexico, Central America, India, the Middle East, and assistance in various disaster areas, such as New Orleans at the time of Katrina. The Cooperative Program of the Southern Baptist Convention also holds high priority in the church budget.
Fair Park, located at 4412 White's Ferry Road in West Monroe, has in the past five years, more than doubled the size of its campus. All the buildings have been completely renovated and updated.
A family ministry building, located across the street from the sanctuary, on the site of J.G. Sawyer's Sawmill and Molding Shop, was dedicated in 2004.
Complete with a gym, a kitchen, all-purpose rooms and Sunday school rooms, the family ministry building also houses Fair Park's week-day ministry, a fully accredited day-care for children.
A walkway connects the sanctuary to the family ministry building. Directly behind the sanctuary, the building formerly known as the activities building has been completely redesigned and refurbished as the church parlor.
In addition to Pastor Waymond Warren, the staff consists of Herb Peterson, Minister to Senior Adults; Darris Waren, Minister of Worship; Liz Sanderson, Music Associate; Sherrie Albritton, Minister to Children; Jared Peters, Minister of discipleship; and Lynn Henderson, Missions Associates. Jared Peters is the newest member of the staff, having joined on March 8. As Discipleship Minister, he will oversee the Student Ministry as well as the adult education process.
Sunday worship services at Fair Park are 8 a.m., 10:30 a.m., and 5:30 p.m., with Sunday school at 9:15 a.m.
For children three years old through the fifth grade, AWANA is offered on Sunday evenings.
For students sixth grade through the twelfth grade, there is the study of Experiencing God on Sunday evening.
On Wednesday nights prayer meeting is at 6:30 p.m., with mission studies for the children. Youth activities are held on Sundays and Wednesdays. Other church organizations, such as a senior citizens' group, drama, and exercise, are available.
Fair Park Baptist Church had its beginning on March 10, 1948, when 39 residents of the White's Ferry Road community, West Monroe met in J.G. Sawyer's mill workshop to discuss the need for a church. Meeting again the following Sunday, March 13, with the Rev. A.T. Mitchell and seven other pastors of Ouachita Parish Association, this group organized Fair Park Baptist Church. There were 63 charter members.
Eleven pastors have served Fair Park, beginning with Rev. John Green, 1949-1950, followed by Rev. Claude Henry Fortenberry, 1950-1952; Rev. C.C. Martin, 1952-57; Rev. Hoyt Greer, 1958-1959; Rev. O.C. Clark, 1959-1961; Rev. L.A. Langridge, 1962-1970; Dr. Jerry Edmondson, 1970-78; Rev. Mark Strickland, 1980-1984; Dr. Billy Thomas, 1985-1987; Rev. Richard Paige, 1988-1996; Rev. Waymond Warren, 1996-present.