Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: West Monroe heads into quarterfinals
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- March 31st, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- March 30th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- March 29th, 2009 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- March 28th, 2009 (Saturday) - 4 articles
- March 27th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- March 26th, 2009 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- March 25th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- March 24th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- March 23rd, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- March 22nd, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- March 21st, 2009 (Saturday) - 6 articles
- March 19th, 2009 (Thursday) - 35 articles
- March 18th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- March 17th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- March 16th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- March 14th, 2009 (Saturday) - 4 articles
- March 13th, 2009 (Friday) - 2 articles
- March 12th, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- March 11th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 15 articles
- March 10th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 3 articles
- March 5th, 2009 (Thursday) - 31 articles
- March 4th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- March 3rd, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- March 2nd, 2009 (Monday) - 2 articles
- March 1st, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|West Monroe heads into quarterfinals|
The West Monroe Rebels punched their ticket into the Boy's Class 5A quarterfinals with a 70-50 victory over the Carencro Bears on Tuesday night.
The Rebels came out to find themselves in a real fight but were able to withstand the early surge by Carencro (23-12).
West Monroe (26-6) led 14-9 at the end of the opening frame. Turnovers in the first few minutes hampered the Rebels on the offensive end, however they more than made up for it with a complete game defensively.
"We did not come out with the intensity we need to," head coach Bakari Beckwith said. "We had some costly turnovers that first quarter and did not take care of business."
The game stayed tight in the second quarter as Carencro got some nice transition baskets to keep pace with the third-ranked Rebels.
Carencro cut the lead to as few as three-points in the second-quarter before West Monroe secured a 32-24 halftime advantage.
Chucky Glass was 3-of-4 from beyond the arc in the first half as West Monroe did their best to balance their offense attack and limit turnovers and miscues.
The Rebels blew the game open coming out of the lockers as they built a 46-30 lead within the first six minutes of the third quarter.
Glass finished with a game high 18 points. Corey Lacey chipped in 13 points while Urald King and D.D. Brown each scored 11.
West Monroe will now host No. 6 Saint Augustine of New Orleans for a 7 p.m. tip-off Friday at the West Monroe Gym.
The Purple Knights (26-9) defeated Sulphur Tuesday night by a score of 53-43 in their second home game of the playoffs.
"We do not know a whole lot about their team other than they have great tradition," Beckwith said. "We certainly expect them to be very athletic and well-coached as many teams are this time of year."
The Rebels will enjoy the advantages of playing at home for the third consecutive playoff game.
West Monroe, like many highly regarded teams, has reaped the benefits of a great regular season performance with home dates in the postseason.
While the basketball series between the schools is relatively new, the schools have had some classic playoff battles on the football field.
West Monroe has defeated Saint Augustine twice in the Class 5A football semi-finals — the first in 1993 and the second in the fall of 2000.