Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Luke attends conference
- 2013 - 844 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- March 31st, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- March 30th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- March 29th, 2009 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- March 28th, 2009 (Saturday) - 4 articles
- March 27th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- March 26th, 2009 (Thursday) - 25 articles
- March 25th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- March 24th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- March 23rd, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- March 22nd, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- March 21st, 2009 (Saturday) - 6 articles
- March 19th, 2009 (Thursday) - 35 articles
- March 18th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 9 articles
- March 17th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- March 16th, 2009 (Monday) - 3 articles
- March 14th, 2009 (Saturday) - 4 articles
- March 13th, 2009 (Friday) - 2 articles
- March 12th, 2009 (Thursday) - 27 articles
- March 11th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 15 articles
- March 10th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 3 articles
- March 5th, 2009 (Thursday) - 31 articles
- March 4th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- March 3rd, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- March 2nd, 2009 (Monday) - 2 articles
- March 1st, 2009 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Luke attends conference|
The 2009 National Silver Haired Congress recently completed its 12th Annual Legislative Session held in Alexandria, Virginia, in early February.
The NSHC is a non-partisan, non-profit grassroots advocacy organization composed of Silver Senators and Silver Representatives, all 60 years of age or older, who educate the public and advocate on behalf of America's seniors.
Attending the conference from northeast Louisiana was Silver Representative Miles K. Luke from Monroe. This was Miles' fifth year as a delegate to the annual conference.
Other members attending from Louisiana were Silver Senators James C. Myrick of Leesville and Paul Glanville from Shreveport; Silver Representatives Lee Perry Roy from Crowley and Albert Myrick of Jamestown.
During the 5-Day Conference, a total of 40 resolutions affecting the senior population were studied, with Silver Senators and Silver Representatives from across the nation adopting the following Resolutions as their top five priority issues. These resolutions will be forwarded to the President and the U.S. Congress.
1) Silver Alert – A notification system for missing vulnerable, disoriented senior citizens, similar to the Amber Alert for children.
2) Elder Justice Act – Provision of a comprehensive and coordinated federal/state/local approach to detecting, preventing, treating, and prosecuting elder abuse, neglect, and exploitation.
3) National Background Check and Registry for Health Caregivers – Legislation, with strict enforcement provisions, to create a National Background Check and Registry of all employees of health care facilities, home health agencies, and residential care facilities.
4) Funding for Home and Community Based Services – Provision of sufficient funding for the increasing numbers of Seniors and persons with disabilities needing long-term care services, as well as the provision for the shifting of some of those funds from institutional care to home and community based services.
5) Mandatory Geriatric Education – A mandate that all schools receiving public tax funds require geriatric training for all students preparing for health careers.
For information on the National Silver Haired Congress, go to www.natlshc.org or call Luke at 325-0027.