Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Wossman-Richwood ready to rumble
- 2013 - 845 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- January 29th, 2009 (Thursday) - 16 articles
- January 28th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 22 articles
- January 27th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- January 26th, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- January 23rd, 2009 (Friday) - 12 articles
- January 22nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 23 articles
- January 21st, 2009 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- January 20th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- January 15th, 2009 (Thursday) - 20 articles
- January 14th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 6 articles
- January 13th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- January 9th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- January 8th, 2009 (Thursday) - 16 articles
- January 7th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- January 6th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- January 5th, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- January 2nd, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- January 1st, 2009 (Thursday) - 8 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Wossman-Richwood ready to rumble|
The Wossman Wildcats (15-4, 3-0) will host the Richwood Rams (13-9, 3-0) in a rematch of the last season's Class 3A state championship game this Friday night.
The game is not just for bragging rights, as each team stands undefeated in district play so far this season.
Richwood overcame an 18-point deficit to Wossman in Ouachita's Don Redden Classic two weeks ago to beat the Wildcats 58-56.
The Rams have been on a tear with four straight victories since that night. It is a game both teams know will go a long way in figuring out playoff seeds in a month.
"It is a huge game for us," Wossman head coach Dale Zimmerman said. "It is for first-place in the district. Richwood beat us at Ouachita and are real confident in their abilities right now."
On Tuesday night, Wossman ran away with a 62-51 win in Shreveport over Green Oaks High School.
Jonathan Ross led the way with a game-high 30 points as the Wildcats scorched the nets throughout the first half of action.
"Our inside game was working real good," Zimmerman said. "Jonathan (Ross) controlled the game down low and dominated the paint. We needed a big game inside and he provided the spark against their defense."
Wossman appeared to come out with little energy to begin the contest. Other players got involved in the second quarter and confused the Green Oaks defense.
Montez Sellars finished with 10 points while Miquel Gibson chipped in eight points for the defending Class 3A state champion Wildcats.
"We came out a little flat," Zimmerman said. "We never looked real excited to play the game."
A main concern for Wossman leading into the Richwood game is holding onto the lead late in games.
"We have to learn how to hold a lead," Zimmerman said. "We play well for three quarters and then cannot hold on in the last quarter. We have to grow up and take care of the basketball against quality opponents."
Richwood dominated another district foe on Tuesday with a 61-37 win over Booker T. Washington of Shreveport.
Rydell Harris and Marcies Davis led the way with 20 points each for the Rams. Richwood won the game with smothering defense that led to easy transition baskets and some monster dunks that sent the home crowd into a frenzy.
The Wossman Lady Wildcats (13-4, 2-0) will also host Richwood beginning at 6 p.m. Friday.
Judy Jones leads the Lady Wildcats with 21 points per game. Irene Van Buren and D.D. Hall are also scoring in double-figures for Wossman.
Wossman beat Green Oaks 61-42 behind the lead of Jones and Hall. Green Oaks had trouble with the press and could not hold onto the basketball in the third quarter as Wossman built a comfortable lead.
Richwood (10-13, 1-1) will be looking for a signature win at the Purple Spectrum here at the beginning of a competitive district championship race.