Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Annual temple concert features ULM grads
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- January 29th, 2009 (Thursday) - 16 articles
- January 28th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 22 articles
- January 27th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- January 26th, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- January 23rd, 2009 (Friday) - 12 articles
- January 22nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 23 articles
- January 21st, 2009 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- January 20th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- January 15th, 2009 (Thursday) - 20 articles
- January 14th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 6 articles
- January 13th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- January 9th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- January 8th, 2009 (Thursday) - 16 articles
- January 7th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- January 6th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- January 5th, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- January 2nd, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- January 1st, 2009 (Thursday) - 8 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Annual temple concert features ULM grads|
Temple B'nai Israel will present their third annual concert, "A Tribute to Jewish American Composers," at 7 p.m., Jan. 24. The concert features graduates of the University of Louisiana at Monroe.
West Monroe native Lisa Lee McCalman earned a Bachelor of Arts in Vocal Performance from ULM and has served in several capacities at area churches including music director and cantor at St. Paschal's Catholic Church, and as the contemporary service leader at First United Methodist Church in West Monroe.
She has performed 15 years with Rod Allen Payne, also a former ULM student, most recently every Friday evening at the Brandy House in Monroe and at various private functions. She sings with the Lawrence Gibbs Orchestra, a jazz ensemble of popular acclaim, and has performed for several pop symphony concerts, including the 2008 "A Tribute to Jewish American Composers."
ULM graduate Lawrence Gibbs is the principal Clarinetist for the Monroe Symphony Orchestra. He also performs with the South Arkansas Symphony, the Shreveport Symphony Orchestra and is the founder and director of The Russ-Town Band, a select community band based in Ruston. In addition, he directs his own band, the Lawrence Gibbs Orchestra.
In a five-year stint in Las Vegas with the Billy Ledbetter Show Band, Gibbs performed with such notables as Bob Hope, Liberace, The Nelson Riddle Orchestra, Connie Francis, Susan Anton and the gospel group "The Martins" and others.
He joined the Louisiana Tech University faculty in 1989, where he directs Tech's Jazz Ensemble, the University's Symphonic Band, and assists with the Marching Band of Pride.
Bastrop's Hallie Yarbrough, winner of the 2008 Louisiana State Fiddle Championship, transferred to the University of Louisiana at Monroe for her last year of college and graduated with a four-year degree in education.
She has played classical violin for almost 40 years and has performed as a solo violinist for the Monroe and Fort Worth symphony orchestra.
Another performer with ULM ties is jazz flutist Tony Cortellini, who will perform a limited number of selections during the concert. He is married to Sandra Lunte, an associate professor of music at the university.
Payne has arranged an all-new concert program for the benefit concert, which will include a tribute in remembrance of Billie Ledbetter. A reception will follow the concert, with proceeds benefitting the Historic Jewish Cemetery in Monroe.
Tickets are available by calling the Temple Office at 387-0730. For information, call Elaine Smith at 345-0252, or 547-6462 or E-mail her at email@example.com.