Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: West Ouachita preps for Carroll
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- January 29th, 2009 (Thursday) - 16 articles
- January 28th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 22 articles
- January 27th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- January 26th, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- January 23rd, 2009 (Friday) - 12 articles
- January 22nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 23 articles
- January 21st, 2009 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- January 20th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- January 15th, 2009 (Thursday) - 20 articles
- January 14th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 6 articles
- January 13th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- January 9th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- January 8th, 2009 (Thursday) - 16 articles
- January 7th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- January 6th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- January 5th, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- January 2nd, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- January 1st, 2009 (Thursday) - 8 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|West Ouachita preps for Carroll|
West Ouachita Preps for Carroll
By Cody Futrell
The West Ouachita Chiefs and the Carroll Bulldogs will open district 2-4A play at "The Dog Pound" this Friday night in what promises to be an entertaining battle.
Last week, the Chiefs (9-13) participated in the Maggie Moo's OCS New Year Classic and had some successes, while finding plenty to improve on in the coming week.
The eventual tournament champion Mangham Dragons beat West Ouachita 51-41 in the first round of the tournament.
Antoine Ford scored 16 points in the loss as West Ouachita struggled to rebound well enough to stay in the game.
"We have to improve our rebounding," West Ouachita head coach Josh Brown said. "We are not boxing out well enough and that will hurt us in the district we play. Everyone will be bigger than us inside in this district."
West Ouachita had a 53-44 victory Friday over Claiborne Christian.
Gary Thomas scored 18 points and Ford again chipped in double-figures to lead the way for the Chiefs.
Sterlington avenged a loss two weeks ago by beating West Ouachita in the consolation round of the tournament.
Max Cook got a hot shooting hand late in the game and foul trouble hampered the West Ouachita comeback effort in a 53-47 loss to Sterlington.
Forrest upended West Ouachita on Tuesday night by a score of 66-56. Thomas scored 18 while Ford and Andrew Harris chipped in 15 points to lead West Ouachita.
Once again free throws became the story as the Chiefs found themselves in major foul trouble early in the contest.
"Forrest is a tough place to play," Brown said. "We got into some foul trouble and that hurts because we are not extremely deep right now."
Carroll participated in the Don Redden Classic at Ouachita last week. The Bulldogs fell to West Monroe in the opening round of the tournament, 58-40.
Will Mariland scored six points to lead Carroll ,who could not find their offensive rhythm against the hounding defense of West Monroe.
Carroll then bounced back to defeat Alexandria the next night, 79-72. Xavier Lee went on a tear with 24 points and Mariland chipped in 15 points for the Bulldogs.
Carroll closed out the tournament with a 59-56 loss to the Madison Parish Jaguars. Lee again led the way for Carroll, but could not lead them to victory because of the impressive defensive pressure displayed by the stronger Madison team.
On the girl's side of things, Carroll opened district play with a 75-45 win over Neville on Tuesday night and will also play West Ouachita this Friday.
Elexar Tugglar scored 19 points to lead the C-Dogs to victory. Carroll (17-1) is ranked No. 2 in this week's Class 4A poll.
The West Ouachita Lady Chiefs are coming off a split of games in the OCS tournament. West Ouachita lost to Calvary Baptist 43-37 before squeaking out a win over Sterlington 39-37 on Friday night.