Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Strauss seeks actors for "Smoke on the Mountain"
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- January 29th, 2009 (Thursday) - 16 articles
- January 28th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 22 articles
- January 27th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- January 26th, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- January 23rd, 2009 (Friday) - 12 articles
- January 22nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 23 articles
- January 21st, 2009 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- January 20th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- January 15th, 2009 (Thursday) - 20 articles
- January 14th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 6 articles
- January 13th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- January 9th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- January 8th, 2009 (Thursday) - 16 articles
- January 7th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- January 6th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- January 5th, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- January 2nd, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- January 1st, 2009 (Thursday) - 8 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Strauss seeks actors for "Smoke on the Mountain"|
The Strauss Theatre Center in Monroe will hold auditions for "Smoke on the Mountain" at 6 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 11 and 6 p.m. Monday, Jan. 12.
Seven actors who can act, sing gospel or play an instrument are needed. The play is about a traveling evangelist family who sings and preaches at a small southern church in the 1940s.
Dennis Gleason directs and Hunt Neely is musical director. Scripts are available at the Strauss Theatre Center, 1300 Lamy lane in Monroe.
Performances are March 5-22 with Thursday, Friday and Saturday shows at 7:30 p.m. and Sundays at 2 p.m. Rehearsals will begin immediately and most will be on week nights.
If you are interested in auditioning but cannot attend these dates or times please contact the director at 791-5654 or at the Strauss Theatre.
Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script, as well as singing. Scripts are available at the theatre for checkout. Please prepare one song to sing (the director prefers a gospel song if possible). Be sure to bring sheet music for the accompanist. If you play an instrument, please bring it as well and be prepared to play it (can even accompany yourself on your song if you wish).
The characters are:
— Mervin Oglethorpe (the Minister): nervous, neurotic, is concerned how the Sanders Family will be received, a little geeky, tries hard to fit in and does sing (could play), sincerely tries to help everyone, eventually has a thing for June.
— Vera Sanders (the Mother): very devout, a mother hen, pushes her son to preach, warm, bubbly, she really wears the pants in the family, sensitive and emotional, connects well with the audience, does sing (could play).
— Burl Sanders (the Father): the rock of the family, stable, a bit quiet and thoughtful, cares deeply about his family and doing the right thing, a musical leader, does sing and play.
— Dennis Sanders (the Son): studying for the ministry, a bit shy, willing to try new things and tries to please his mother, sometimes playful, could be a good speaker with practice, is the twin brother of Denise.
— Denise Sanders (the Daughter): also studying for the ministry on odd years, wants to be in the movies, more outgoing than her brother, if there was a rebel in this family it would be her, a dreamer and energetic, does sing and could play.
— Stanley Sanders (the Uncle): brother of Burl, the original member of the singing group with his brother, doesn't get along too well w/Vera, has a bit of a shady past, played in some western movies, stays in the background until prodded, does sing and play.
— June Sanders (the Sister): the "white sheep" of the family with no musical talents except small items such as symbol, cowbell etc., does not sing but does make up her own form of sign language to narrate some of the songs, meek, hates attention.
The ages of actors playing Sanders kids could range from 16-30; the ages of actors playing the parents and uncle could be 35-60; the age of the minister could be 25-40.
For more information about auditions or the production, call 323-6681.