Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Holiday Classic a hit at West Monroe
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- December 2009 - 163 articles
- November 2009 - 166 articles
- October 2009 - 231 articles
- September 2009 - 161 articles
- August 2009 - 136 articles
- July 2009 - 153 articles
- June 2009 - 126 articles
- May 2009 - 164 articles
- April 2009 - 242 articles
- March 2009 - 204 articles
- February 2009 - 163 articles
- January 2009 - 157 articles
- January 29th, 2009 (Thursday) - 16 articles
- January 28th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 22 articles
- January 27th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- January 26th, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- January 23rd, 2009 (Friday) - 12 articles
- January 22nd, 2009 (Thursday) - 23 articles
- January 21st, 2009 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- January 20th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- January 15th, 2009 (Thursday) - 20 articles
- January 14th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 6 articles
- January 13th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- January 9th, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- January 8th, 2009 (Thursday) - 16 articles
- January 7th, 2009 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- January 6th, 2009 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- January 5th, 2009 (Monday) - 1 articles
- January 2nd, 2009 (Friday) - 1 articles
- January 1st, 2009 (Thursday) - 8 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
|Holiday Classic a hit at West Monroe|
High school basketball fans from all over the area were treated to some of the best high school basketball action under one roof last weekend at the Glenwood Regional Medical Center Holiday Classic.
Hosted by West Monroe High School, large crowds attended the tournament, which was held over a three-day period starting Saturday.
The Wossman Wildcats were the first local team to taste success in the Holiday Classic as they opened the action by blasting the Redemptorist Wolves, 69-50, on Saturday night.
Martez Sellars and Miquel Gibson each had outstanding games scoring the basketball while Wossman forced Redemptorist into 12 second-half turnovers.
Wossman defeated Dubach in an afternoon tilt on Monday to improve to 2-0 in the tournament.
The West Monroe Rebels pounded Lawrence County High School of Mississippi in the nightcap, 70-28.
The Rebels raced out to a 12-2 advantage in the first quarter and never looked back, thanks to double-digit scoring from Urald King, Chucky Glass and Dominique Ford.
"We have some great teams playing in this tournament," West Monroe head coach Bakari Beckwith said. "This is a holiday tradition at West Monroe and the fans can see a lot of great basketball being played here in our area with so many good teams here."
The tournament took Sunday off before resuming with great local action tipping off inside Rebel Gymnasium on Monday.
Neville split a pair of games in action on Monday. DeRidder beat the Tigers before Neville devoured Lawrence County (Miss.) Monday night, 64-53.
Point guard Artez Bynum and Thomas Austin both scored in double-figures for Neville in the victory.
The Carroll Bulldogs and Redemptorist Wolves locked up in a classic battle on Monday evening as well.
Redemptorist stormed out to a quick 7-0 advantage before Carroll clawed its way back into the game. The two teams played a see-saw battle that saw the lead change multiple times.
Caroll took the lead in the third quarter only to see the game slip away thanks in large part to costly fourth-quarter turnovers.
In the end, Redemptorist escaped with a 53-51 victory in front of a stunned northeast Louisiana crowd.
Xavier Lee led the Bulldogs with 22 points in the defeat at the hands of the Baton Rouge visitors.
West Monroe finished up the action Monday night with a 53-31 thumping of the DeRidder Dragons.
Corey Lacey led the way for the Rebels with 11 points, while Chucky Glass and Dominique Ford each chipped in 10 points for West Monroe.
West Monroe again used a smothering style of defense to hold DeRidder scoreless during the first three minutes of the contest.
Sloppy offensive work by the Rebels allowed the Dragons to get back into the game in the second quarter while DeRidder cut the West Monroe lead to nine, 18-9, in the second frame.
West Monroe maintaind at least a 12-point advantage throughout the second half thanks to hot shooting from point guard Chucky Glass.
Glass hit back-to-back three-point baskets to key a third quarter in which West Monroe began to run away from the Dragons.
The Richwood Rams, fresh off a pair of wins in the Northwest Tournament over the weekend, finished out their week with a pair of games at West Monroe.
Richwood beat Northwest High School before falling to Class 5A powerhouse St. Augustine of New Orleans on Saturday, 59-41.
Keldric Martin and Rydell Harris lead the Rams past Northwest as they each scored in double figures.
In other local tournament action, Ouachita High School will host the Don Redden Memorial tournament starting next Wednesday.