Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Congressman-elect Fleming names Fletcher chief of staff
- 2013 - 845 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- December 31st, 2008 (Wednesday) - 13 articles
- December 30th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 8 articles
- December 25th, 2008 (Thursday) - 8 articles
- December 24th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 13 articles
- December 23rd, 2008 (Tuesday) - 7 articles
- December 22nd, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- December 21st, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- December 18th, 2008 (Thursday) - 10 articles
- December 17th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 8 articles
- December 16th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- December 13th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- December 11th, 2008 (Thursday) - 15 articles
- December 10th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- December 9th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- December 7th, 2008 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- December 6th, 2008 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- December 5th, 2008 (Friday) - 10 articles
- December 4th, 2008 (Thursday) - 15 articles
- December 3rd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- December 2nd, 2008 (Tuesday) - 3 articles
- December 1st, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
|Congressman-elect Fleming names Fletcher chief of staff|
Congressman-elect Dr. John Fleming on Thursday announced Lee Fletcher would serve as his chief of staff.
Fleming, a Republican from Minden, was elected Saturday by less than 400 votes in the 4th District congressional race to succeed Congressman Jim McCrery, who opted not to seek re-election. Fleming topped Caddo Parish District Attorney Paul Carmouche in Saturday's voting. Voting in the 4th District congressional race was put off for a month earlier this fall in light of Hurricane Gustav.
"Lee showed tremendous leadership during this campaign and has stellar congressional credentials," Fleming said. "I trust in him to ensure the needs of the 4th Congressional District are met and that we always make decisions that are in the best interest of Northwest Louisiana."
Fletcher, who owns an advertising/political consulting firm, The Fletcher Group, managed Fleming's campaign. A newcomer to politics, Fleming beat back two Republicans—Chris Gorman and Jeff Thompson—in primary voting to secure a spot in the general election.
Fletcher's return to Capitol Hill will mark to second time the West Carroll Parish native has served as chief of staff for a member of the U.S. House of Representatives.
From 1997-2001, Fletcher filled the chief of staff position for then-Congressman Dr. John Cooksey. Elected in 1996, Cooksey represented the 5th District of Louisiana in the U.S. House from 1997-2003. Fletcher managed Cooksey's congressional bid in 1996, too. He also managed Cooksey's 2000 re-election campaign, which Cooksey won with 69 percent of the vote. Cooksey faced no opposition in 1998.
In 2002, Fletcher was a candidate in the 5th District congressional race to succeed Cooksey, who gave up his seat in the House to oppose U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu.
Fletcher outpaced two other Republicans—former Congressman Clyde Holloway and then-state Sen. Robert Barham—to earn a spot in the general election.
Though it was widely assumed Fletcher would top then-state Rep. Rodney Alexander, a Democrat, in the general election, Alexander won the December 2002 race by less than 1,000 votes.
Following his unsuccessful bid to succeed Cooksey, Fletcher founded his own advertising agency, The Fletcher Group. He later opened his own web site development company, Web Completors.
Fletcher eventually began working on political campaigns in a consulting capacity through his advertising firm.
In the past few years, Fletcher consulted or managed a number of campaigns for the state House of Representatives and state Senate, including Rep. Hunter Greene's, Rep. Bubba Cheney's, Rep. Kay Katz's, Sen. Neil Riser's and Sen. Mike Walsworth's. Fletcher also advised Gov. Bobby Jindal's campaign in 2007.
Earlier this year, Fletcher acquired the radio station 92.7 FM of Farmerville/West Monroe and secured an affiliation with the Fox radio network. Fletcher also hosts his own talk radio show, Town Hall with Lee Fletcher, which broadcasts each week day from 7 a.m.-8 a.m. on Fox 92.7.
Fletcher said he will maintain his ownership of his advertising firm and his radio station while serving as Fleming's chief of staff, though he would not be involved in the day-to-day operations of the companies.