Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: WM, Barbe meet in semis
- 2013 - 802 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- December 31st, 2008 (Wednesday) - 13 articles
- December 30th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 8 articles
- December 25th, 2008 (Thursday) - 8 articles
- December 24th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 13 articles
- December 23rd, 2008 (Tuesday) - 7 articles
- December 22nd, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- December 21st, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- December 18th, 2008 (Thursday) - 10 articles
- December 17th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 8 articles
- December 16th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- December 13th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- December 11th, 2008 (Thursday) - 15 articles
- December 10th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- December 9th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- December 7th, 2008 (Sunday) - 2 articles
- December 6th, 2008 (Saturday) - 2 articles
- December 5th, 2008 (Friday) - 10 articles
- December 4th, 2008 (Thursday) - 15 articles
- December 3rd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- December 2nd, 2008 (Tuesday) - 3 articles
- December 1st, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
|WM, Barbe meet in semis|
The West Monroe Rebels host the Barbe Buccaneers this Friday night in the semi-finals of the Louisiana High School Athletic Association Class 5A football playoffs.
West Monroe (12-0) dispatched their rivals from across the river, Ouachita, 37-16, in a hard-fought contest last week and will again get to enjoy the benefits of a home playoff game inside a rowdy Rebel Stadium.
The Bucs (12-0) have rolled over the competition this season behind a line of several big-time college prospects. Barbe is known for such college greats as LSU running back Justin Vincent and they have another big stable of talent in 2008.
LSU commitment Janzen Jackson has led the team in tackles and interceptions this season. A knee injury in practice kept him out of their semi-final victory over previously unbeaten Thibodaux. Some reports out of Lake Charles have the senior being able to play at West Monroe this week after getting the knee scoped last week.
That possibility is daunting for the Rebels, considering the Barbe defense forced seven turnovers — including four interceptions — without Jackson in the line-up last Friday night.
"They are well coached," West Monroe head coach Don Shows, "They are as fast as any team we have seen and they play hard. That is a good combination for success."
Eric Papion, another highly recruited safety from Barbe, recorded a pair of interceptions in the 48-14 victory.
On offense, Barbe is led by quarterback Eric Cutrera, who has passed for 1,784 yards and 18 touchdowns this season.
Texas Tech commitment Ernest Celestie leads the Bucs in rushing from the running back position. Celestie is also a danger to slip out and catch a few passes in this pass-happy offense from Barbe.
"If we played with 12 guys we might have a chance," Shows said. "They have so much speed and talent we are going to have to figure a way to take that away from them somehow."
Barbe defeated Comeaux of that same district 2-5A, 41-17, before beating Dutchtown 26-14 and then Thibodaux to reach this point in the postseason.
Barbe and West Monroe had a common opponent in St. Thomas More of Lafayette, who the Bucs beat 21-0 during the regular season. West Monroe beat STM 41-21 in the second-round of the Class 5A playoffs two weeks ago.
Two other teams of that district, Acadiana and Sulphur, defeated West Monroe in the second-round at Rebel Stadium in the past two seasons.
West Monroe and Barbe have a history in the playoffs. Barbe beat West Monroe 14-10 in the 1996 regular season before West Monroe beat the Bucs in the quarter-final round and went on the win their first of three consecutive Class 5A state championships.
In 2000, West Monroe traveled to Barbe in the second-round and defeated future LSU Tiger Justin Vincent and the Bucs 14-7 in a muddy field conditions that night.
Now the teams collide as undefeated titans that are one win away from the Cresent City.
Undefeated and willing to lay it all on the line, the fans will be treated to another semi-final night at Rebel Stadium. For this series the stakes have never been higher.