Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Ouachita ready to weather Sulphur storm
- 2013 - 961 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- November 29th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- November 26th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 23 articles
- November 25th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 5 articles
- November 24th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- November 20th, 2008 (Thursday) - 23 articles
- November 19th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 5 articles
- November 18th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- November 16th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- November 14th, 2008 (Friday) - 3 articles
- November 13th, 2008 (Thursday) - 23 articles
- November 12th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- November 11th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- November 8th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- November 7th, 2008 (Friday) - 17 articles
- November 6th, 2008 (Thursday) - 11 articles
- November 5th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 16 articles
- November 4th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- November 2nd, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
|Ouachita ready to weather Sulphur storm|
The Ouachita Lions (8-2, 7-1 district 1-5A) will host the Sulphur Golden Tors in the first round of the Class 5-A playoffs this Friday night at Lions Stadium.
Ouachita finished district play in second place behind West Monroe and will be the No.8 seed in the playoffs.
Sulphur (5-4) will visit Ouachita this week after becoming battle tested throughout one of the best 5-A districts in the state of Louisiana.
"I have a lot of respect for (Sulphur head Coach) Paul Bourgeois and his program," Carr said. "We are real excited to have a home playoff game and we will have to play really well to have a chance against a real good Sulphur team."
Sulphur is coming of a district win over Comeaux, 28-10. The Golden Tornados struggled in one of the 5-A power districts that included No.4 Barbe, No.6 Acadiana, and No. 17 St. Thomas More.
A run-oriented offense, Sulphur is big and physical along an experienced offensive line. Ouachita will continue to establish a running game to keep the Sulphur offense on the sidelines.
Another key for Ouachita as of late has been winning the turnover battle. The Byrd game came down to some big plays on the defensive side of the ball, but Ouachita did not give Byrd cheap points off of turnovers with only one interception on the night.
Ouachita beat Byrd 14-10 Friday in a hotly contested affair. Chris Bolton caught touchdown passes of 45 yards and 13 yards from quarterback Corey Treadway to pace the Lions offense.
"We had some big plays on both sides of the football," Ouachita head coach John Carr said. "The defense was really good all night long for us."
Ouachita overcame a 10-0 halftime defecit to shut the high-octane offense of Byrd down after intermission.
Byrd came on a mission to stop the Lions rushing attack. Montrell Conner was the leading rusher for Ouachita with 13 carries for 94 yards. Treadway finished with 20 yards rushing.
Averaging over 200 yards per game rushing, Byrd was limited to just 154 yards on the ground. Only West Monroe had held the Yellow Jackets to that in a 17-7 win early in the season.