Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Carroll season ends with loss to Bastrop
- 2013 - 962 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- November 29th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- November 26th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 23 articles
- November 25th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 5 articles
- November 24th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- November 20th, 2008 (Thursday) - 23 articles
- November 19th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 5 articles
- November 18th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- November 16th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- November 14th, 2008 (Friday) - 3 articles
- November 13th, 2008 (Thursday) - 23 articles
- November 12th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- November 11th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- November 8th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- November 7th, 2008 (Friday) - 17 articles
- November 6th, 2008 (Thursday) - 11 articles
- November 5th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 16 articles
- November 4th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- November 2nd, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
|Carroll season ends with loss to Bastrop|
The Carroll Bulldogs (1-8) knew the road to a victory would not come easy against defending state champions, the Bastrop Rams (9-0).
Bastrop proved too much for Carroll in the end with a 47-13 victory at Bulldogs Stadium in Monroe.
"We were not physical enough with Bastrop," Carroll head coach Jackie Hamilton said. "They are Bastrop. They have the athletes and are a great team."
Highly recruited Bastrop quarterback Reuben Randle found one of his go-to-guys early in the game. Stanley Moore caught a 52-yard Randle pass for a touchdown to put Bastrop on top, 6-0.
Carroll was quickly forced to punt against the stellar Bastrop defense. Again Bastrop marched down the field and scored on a Dewight Hawkins touchdown run of two-yards.
Randle found Hawkins next on the two-point conversion to give Bastrop a 14-0 lead. With little improvement in the kicking game this season, Bastrop is almost exclusively going for the two-point conversion on each score. The exception in this game was an Allen Richards 23-yard field goal for a point in the second quarter.
Soon after, Randle again found the endzone, this time rushing the football in from three-yards away.
Randle was 5-of-8 for 90 yards and one touchdown passing as well as recording 79 yards and a score on seven rushes for the Rams.
Carroll was led in rushing by ZuBrandon Brown's 54 yards on 12 carries. Brown found the endzone in the fourth-quarter on a two-yard run. Tyree Hollins also recorded a two-point conversion run for Carroll.
Before that event, Carroll got their first touchdown on a 10-yard jaunt by Cordell Collins. Carroll was very close in rushing yards with Bastrop, 148-105.
Moore ended the scoring with a one-yard run in the fourth quarter. Backups flooded the field in the second-half as Bastrop took control with a 41-0 lead after three quarters of play.
A pair of brothers tried their hands at replacing the injured Xavier Gray at quarterback, who was hurt a week ago against Franklin Parish. Cordell Collins and Jamond Collins saw their first quarterback duties of the season for Carroll. Jamond Collins was 2-of-3 for 48 yards through the air. Cordell Collins did not have as much success, completing 0-of-6 attempts.
However, Cordell Collins did have a 10-yard touchdown run, and was also the Bulldogs leading receiver with 2 catches for 48 yards.
Carroll will now regroup and look toward reclassification where they could move back into the Richwood and Wossman 3-A district.
"I would like to see us in 3-A because of numbers," Hamilton said. "When you are competing with the numbers of Neville or Bastrop it makes it difficult."
The rivalries would be hotly contested whether in 3-A or 4-A football. Carroll has long-standing rivalries with Wossman and Richwood.
The Louisiana High School Athletic Association will discuss reclassification at the March meeting.