Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: West Monroe eyes district title
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- November 29th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- November 26th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 23 articles
- November 25th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 5 articles
- November 24th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- November 20th, 2008 (Thursday) - 23 articles
- November 19th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 5 articles
- November 18th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- November 16th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- November 14th, 2008 (Friday) - 3 articles
- November 13th, 2008 (Thursday) - 23 articles
- November 12th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- November 11th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- November 8th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- November 7th, 2008 (Friday) - 17 articles
- November 6th, 2008 (Thursday) - 11 articles
- November 5th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 16 articles
- November 4th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- November 2nd, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
|West Monroe eyes district title|
The West Monroe Rebels will look to secure another outright district championship when they host the Captain Shreve Gators this Friday night at 7 p.m.
West Monroe (8-0, 7-0 district 1-5A) remained the top-ranked team in Class 5-A again this week. The win at Natchitoches Central last Friday was the 34th consecutive regular season win for the Rebels.
"We played hard," West Monroe head coach Don Shows said. "We took care of business from the very beginning of the game."
Quarterback D.J. Banks was 8-of-13 for 131 yards and three touchdowns for the Rebels against a Natchitoches Central team that could do little for themselves on offense. The Rebels limited the Chiefs to just 22-yards rushing in the contest. A second-quarter touchdown run was the lone score of the game for Natchitoches Central.
The Captain Shreve Gators come to Rebel Stadium this week with upset on their minds. The Gators let a 21-0 third quarter lead slip away in Shreveport a year ago against West Monroe.
Captain Shreve (2-5) is led on offense by running back Greg Washington, who is currently averaging more than 100 yards in district play this season. Washington rushed for 129 yards against a stout Ouachita defense two weeks ago and continues to be the leader of the Gators offensive attack.
West Monroe will continue to try to involve more of its offense as teams have been gunning to take running back Ladarius Abrams out of the fold. Banks has opened up the Rebels passing game since the start of district play.
Full back Eric Talton, who had 75 yards rushing last week, has also emerged as a threat to make a big play against opposing defenses.
"We have to continue to be focused," Shows said. "Defensivley we have to play our assignments and play aggressive. We know Captain Shreve will come ready to play the Rebels."
The once mighty Captain Shreve passing attack has seen its share of turnover problems this season. The Gators have five interceptions over the last two games.
Airline used a couple of prime turnovers to shutout Captain Shreve last week, 14-0. It was the first shutout in nearly three years for the Gators.