Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Police jurors consider long-term sewer plan for eastern Ouachita
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- October 31st, 2008 (Friday) - 2 articles
- October 30th, 2008 (Thursday) - 22 articles
- October 29th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- October 28th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 11 articles
- October 27th, 2008 (Monday) - 2 articles
- October 26th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 24th, 2008 (Friday) - 14 articles
- October 23rd, 2008 (Thursday) - 11 articles
- October 22nd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- October 21st, 2008 (Tuesday) - 7 articles
- October 20th, 2008 (Monday) - 3 articles
- October 19th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 17th, 2008 (Friday) - 13 articles
- October 16th, 2008 (Thursday) - 3 articles
- October 15th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 24 articles
- October 14th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 7 articles
- October 13th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- October 12th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 9th, 2008 (Thursday) - 10 articles
- October 8th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 13 articles
- October 7th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 5 articles
- October 6th, 2008 (Monday) - 3 articles
- October 5th, 2008 (Sunday) - 5 articles
- October 4th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- October 3rd, 2008 (Friday) - 10 articles
- October 2nd, 2008 (Thursday) - 21 articles
- October 1st, 2008 (Wednesday) - 18 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
|Police jurors consider long-term sewer plan for eastern Ouachita|
The Ouachita Parish Police Jury will look into developing a comprehensive sewer plan for eastern Ouachita Parish.
A similar project is under way in western Ouachita.
Parish engineer Don Harrison said a lack of sewerage facilities has hampered growth and development in both eastern and western Ouachita Parish.
"There is an on-going effort on the west side to provide a coordinated sewer system," Harrison said. "However, there was not any effort on the east side."
In western Ouachita, efforts are under way to eliminate many of the smaller neighborhood treatment plants in Sewer District No. 16. Eventually, that district would evolve into a single collection system similar to Sewer District No. 5. The intent is to tie into Sewer District No. 5 and move effluent to the city of West Monroe's treatment plant. That also would provide effluent for West Monroe's efforts to remove Graphic Packaging from the Sparta Aquifer.
West Monroe's project involves taking Graphic Packaging off the Sparta Aquifer by allowing the company to use wastewater in its production process.
Treated water would be pumped into Graphic Packaging's plant in West Monroe. Graphic would use the treated water to help mitigate the 10 million gallons of water per day the plant currently draws from the Sparta.
Harrison said the police jury needs to associate with an entity that provides sewer service in eastern Ouachita.
"We don't want to recreate an effort that's already being supplied by the private sector," he said. "We're looking to associate with Greater Ouachita Water Company, which has a presence on the east side and the west side."
Several years ago, Greater Ouachita Water Company constructed regional sewerage treatment plants near Sterlington and Swartz.
"Those regional facilities are already in place," Harrison explained. "We're looking to establish a relationship with them and use those facilities and Greater Ouachita's support to promote expansion of those facilities and allow people to tie in, and provide services that would allow us to promote growth."
"It's the same concept on the east side as on the west side," Harrison continued. "We're trying to eliminate the small, independent, community systems that are plagued with lack of financial support and the lack of the ability to maintain the system. Long-range, we're looking at a coordinated regional concept, eliminating all these little individual sewer systems and provide better service and more efficient service to the whole area."
The East Ouachita comprehensive sewerage plan is one of four projects the police jury will submit to the state for funding through the capital outlay project budget.
The projects must be submitted to the state by Nov. 1.
Harrison has not determined the amount the police jury will ask for through the capital outlay project's budget.
Over the next 10 days, Harrison will determine the amount for each of the four projects, and finalize the requests that will be submitted to the state.