Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: West Ouachita slips by Carroll
- 2013 - 845 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- October 31st, 2008 (Friday) - 2 articles
- October 30th, 2008 (Thursday) - 22 articles
- October 29th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- October 28th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 11 articles
- October 27th, 2008 (Monday) - 2 articles
- October 26th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 24th, 2008 (Friday) - 14 articles
- October 23rd, 2008 (Thursday) - 11 articles
- October 22nd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- October 21st, 2008 (Tuesday) - 7 articles
- October 20th, 2008 (Monday) - 3 articles
- October 19th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 17th, 2008 (Friday) - 13 articles
- October 16th, 2008 (Thursday) - 3 articles
- October 15th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 24 articles
- October 14th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 7 articles
- October 13th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- October 12th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 9th, 2008 (Thursday) - 10 articles
- October 8th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 13 articles
- October 7th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 5 articles
- October 6th, 2008 (Monday) - 3 articles
- October 5th, 2008 (Sunday) - 5 articles
- October 4th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- October 3rd, 2008 (Friday) - 10 articles
- October 2nd, 2008 (Thursday) - 21 articles
- October 1st, 2008 (Wednesday) - 18 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
|West Ouachita slips by Carroll|
In a see-saw battle from the get-go, the West Ouachita Chiefs recovered a Carroll on-side kick with 1:40 remaining in regulation to preserve a 21-18 victory.
Jacob Heckford pounced on the loose ball to send the Chiefs on to their third consecutive victory. West Ouachita (4-3, 1-0 district 2-4A) has turned heads the way they have turned their fortunes around recently.
"We stuck together and the kids fought through some adversity," West Ouachita head coach Mitch Thomas said. "We keep playing hard and finish these games strong, we will see good results."
Carroll (1-5, 0-2) can only sit back and think of what might have been. Special teams also played a major role into the demise of the Bulldogs Friday night.
Carroll missed an extra point and misfired on a pair of two-point conversion attempts that could have made the difference in the game.
Playing with a chip on his shoulder the past three weeks, West Ouachita quarterback Matt Calhoun opened up scoring with a 35-yard jaunt down the sideline to give the Chiefs the early 6-0 advantage.
Xavier Gray almost immediately answered for Carroll with his own 42-yard run to tie the game 6-6 after the first quarter.
Calhoun again found a gaping hole in the Carroll defense and rumbled to another touchdown run on the final play of the first half. West Ouachita took a 13-7 lead into the lockers.
Gray again was not to be outdone by his West Ouachita counterpart as he took to the sideline for a 65-yard touchdown run to open the third quarter.
West Ouachita running back Jarvis Gray hit the hole for a 51-yard touchdown run moments later to put the Chiefs ahead to stay.
Calhoun carried the ball 11 times for 61 yards and two touchdowns. Grayson lead the Chiefs with 108 yards and a touchdown on 17 carries.
Gray outdid all competition with 110 yards and two touchdowns rushing as well as a touchdown pass of 16 yards to Cordell Collins to pull the C-Dogs to within a field goal, 21-18. That would prove to be all the cushion West Ouachita would need.