Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Ouachita added to disaster list
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- October 31st, 2008 (Friday) - 2 articles
- October 30th, 2008 (Thursday) - 22 articles
- October 29th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- October 28th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 11 articles
- October 27th, 2008 (Monday) - 2 articles
- October 26th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 24th, 2008 (Friday) - 14 articles
- October 23rd, 2008 (Thursday) - 11 articles
- October 22nd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- October 21st, 2008 (Tuesday) - 7 articles
- October 20th, 2008 (Monday) - 3 articles
- October 19th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 17th, 2008 (Friday) - 13 articles
- October 16th, 2008 (Thursday) - 3 articles
- October 15th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 24 articles
- October 14th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 7 articles
- October 13th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- October 12th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 9th, 2008 (Thursday) - 10 articles
- October 8th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 13 articles
- October 7th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 5 articles
- October 6th, 2008 (Monday) - 3 articles
- October 5th, 2008 (Sunday) - 5 articles
- October 4th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- October 3rd, 2008 (Friday) - 10 articles
- October 2nd, 2008 (Thursday) - 21 articles
- October 1st, 2008 (Wednesday) - 18 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
|Ouachita added to disaster list|
Ouachita Parish is one of 10 Louisiana parishes that were added to the Hurricane Gustav federal disaster individual assistance list.
Monroe Mayor Jamie Mayo and other local officials received word Thursday that Ouachita Parish was included.
"On behalf of all leaders in Ouachita Parish, I want to say thank FEMA officials, Gov. Jindal, our federal and northeast Louisiana legislators and other state leaders who joined in our effort to fight to be added to this list," Mayo said. "I personally know that our FEMA representatives probably grew tired of me calling and asking for help."
"However, local leaders could not leave any stones unturned," Mayo continued. "The people of Oregon Trail and other areas in Monroe, West Monroe, Tanglewood and so many other places in Ouachita Parish and these other 10 parishes suffered catastrophic losses. They are in desperate need of federal assistance and this deceleration will clear many major hurdles that will allow our people to begin putting their lives back together."
The other parishes added Thursday were Concordia, East Carroll, Madison, Morehouse, Richland, Tensas, Union, West Carroll and Winn.
Hurricane Gustav victims in those parishes are now eligible for assistance. Assistance is available for individuals and households. The aid may come in the form of both grants and loans to repair or replace damaged property, as well as other programs. The aid program will not cover all losses, but is designed to help people return to livable housing.
Residents can register for assistance by going online to www.fema.gov, or by calling FEMA at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or 1-800-462-7585.
If you have already registered with FEMA, you will receive a letter with information and instructions for reconsideration of disaster assistance at the time your parish is declared.
Those who register are urged to have pen and paper ready to take down their case number. The toll-free call takes about 20 minutes and can be taken in any language.
The call moves along more quickly if residents have the following:
- Social Security number (including spouse's)
- Address and zip code of the damaged property
- Directions to the damaged home or property
- Telephone numbers where FEMA can reach applicant.
- Private insurance policy, if any
- Bank information to enable direct deposit
- Current mailing address
The addition of these 10 parishes brings the total number of Louisiana parishes eligible for Hurricane Gustav federal disaster assistance to individuals and households to 53.