Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Low turnout expected in Saturday's elections
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- October 31st, 2008 (Friday) - 2 articles
- October 30th, 2008 (Thursday) - 22 articles
- October 29th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- October 28th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 11 articles
- October 27th, 2008 (Monday) - 2 articles
- October 26th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 24th, 2008 (Friday) - 14 articles
- October 23rd, 2008 (Thursday) - 11 articles
- October 22nd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- October 21st, 2008 (Tuesday) - 7 articles
- October 20th, 2008 (Monday) - 3 articles
- October 19th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 17th, 2008 (Friday) - 13 articles
- October 16th, 2008 (Thursday) - 3 articles
- October 15th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 24 articles
- October 14th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 7 articles
- October 13th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- October 12th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- October 9th, 2008 (Thursday) - 10 articles
- October 8th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 13 articles
- October 7th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 5 articles
- October 6th, 2008 (Monday) - 3 articles
- October 5th, 2008 (Sunday) - 5 articles
- October 4th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- October 3rd, 2008 (Friday) - 10 articles
- October 2nd, 2008 (Thursday) - 21 articles
- October 1st, 2008 (Wednesday) - 18 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
|Low turnout expected in Saturday's elections|
A little more than 1,200 voters cast early ballots last week ahead of this Saturday's elections.
That could signal a low voter turnout where a Republican primary in the 5th District congressional race tops the ballot.
In that race, U.S. Rep. Rodney Alexander will meet Andy Clack, a farmer from Richland Parish.
The Republican primary was originally scheduled for Sept. 6 but was postponed because of Hurricane Gustav.
Because no other opponents qualified in that race and because no Democrat qualified for the Democratic primary, whoever wins this weekend's primary between Alexander and Clack will be elected to represent the 5th District in the U.S. House from Louisiana when a new Congress takes office January.
Voters also will be asked to consider a number of local and state offices when they go to the polls Saturday.
Public Service Commissioner Foster Campbell and challenger Jimmy Crowley will meet in the race for the District 5 seat on the Public Service Commission.
In Monroe, former Ouachita Parish Sheriff Chuck Cook will face Judge Tammy Lee in a Monroe City Court race. Lee, who once was suspended from the bench by the state Supreme Court, is running for re-election. A former assistant district attorney as well, Cook is making his first bid for a judicial post.
Meanwhile, Chris Handy is challenging Monroe City Marshal Wince Highshaw in a race that has been marked by fierce public sparring and at least one accusation of harassment.
Handy's home was firebombed in late July. No one has been charged in that incident.
In West Monroe, longtime city marshal William Guyton is being challenged by Stan Hayden.
In various Wards around Ouachita Parish, voters will decide three Justice of the Peace races. In those races, the candidates are:
Ward 1: Dale Lowery, Gerald York
Ward 2: Jim Addison, Ronnie Allen, Steve Wells
Ward 3: Mike Lee, Richard Puckett.
In the Ward 2 race, should any candidate fail to earn 50 percent of the votes cast, the two top contenders will meet again in a runoff on Nov. 4.
Parish-wide, polls will open at 6 a.m. Saturday and will remain open until 8 p.m.