Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Rebels host undefeated Byrd in another District 1-5A match-up
- 2013 - 845 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- September 30th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- September 27th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- September 25th, 2008 (Thursday) - 15 articles
- September 24th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 16 articles
- September 23rd, 2008 (Tuesday) - 8 articles
- September 22nd, 2008 (Monday) - 4 articles
- September 20th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- September 18th, 2008 (Thursday) - 11 articles
- September 17th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 21 articles
- September 16th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 9 articles
- September 15th, 2008 (Monday) - 2 articles
- September 14th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- September 12th, 2008 (Friday) - 3 articles
- September 11th, 2008 (Thursday) - 29 articles
- September 10th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- September 9th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- September 8th, 2008 (Monday) - 10 articles
- September 5th, 2008 (Friday) - 3 articles
- September 4th, 2008 (Thursday) - 9 articles
- September 3rd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 21 articles
- September 2nd, 2008 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- September 1st, 2008 (Monday) - 8 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
|Rebels host undefeated Byrd in another District 1-5A match-up|
After opening up District 1-5A play last week with a dominating 43-0 victory over Huntington, the West Monroe Rebels will entertain another district foe at Rebel Stadium Friday.
That would be the undefeated Byrd Yellow Jackets.
West Monroe, the No. 2 team in Class 5A in Louisiana, is undefeated, too, which means fans should see a good one.
The Rebels put together a huge first half last week, piling up a 36-0 advantage at the half. It was all the momentum West Monroe needed in locking up a district win.
Still, the Rebel coaching staff is not sold on their team's overall intensity level. They say West Monroe needs to be more intense.
"We need to be more aggressive," said West Monroe coach Don Shows. "I know if we are not this week, we are not going to win."
Byrd has beaten Parkway, 30-27. The Yellow Jackets also blasted Airline, another District 1-5A squad.
While West Monroe also shut out their opponent last week, Shows believes his offense has shown marked improvement since August.
"The offensive line did play better," Shows said of last week's action. "We have to keep that intensity level up the entire game."
The West Monroe defense will focus on stopping Byrd's running game while swarming to the ball in the defensive backfield is a must as well. Linebacker Blake Brassel and safety Brakavious Mingo have stood out so far this season in their leadership roles as seniors.
At Byrd, Tramario Hall, who had 144 yards rushing with two touchdowns last week, is the catalyst of the Yellow Jacket offense. A big, physical offensive line has helped Hall pick up four rushing touchdowns so far this season.
"Byrd always has a physical style of play," Shows said. "They are going to line up and play real physical and run the ball. They like to grind it out and run the football."
In the meantime, West Monroe's offense has benefited from sophomore wide receiver Adrian Manning's performance. Running back Tyler Cain has become a contributor, too. Cain scored his first varsity touchdown last week.
Senior leadership is also important for West Monroe, which continues to work on its passing game with quarterback D.J. Banks leading the way.
LaDarius Abrams also figures to get a lot of touches this week. He has five rushing touchdowns so far this season for the Rebels.