Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Mustangs to meet Riverfield in big district bout
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- September 30th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- September 27th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- September 25th, 2008 (Thursday) - 15 articles
- September 24th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 16 articles
- September 23rd, 2008 (Tuesday) - 8 articles
- September 22nd, 2008 (Monday) - 4 articles
- September 20th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- September 18th, 2008 (Thursday) - 11 articles
- September 17th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 21 articles
- September 16th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 9 articles
- September 15th, 2008 (Monday) - 2 articles
- September 14th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- September 12th, 2008 (Friday) - 3 articles
- September 11th, 2008 (Thursday) - 29 articles
- September 10th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 10 articles
- September 9th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- September 8th, 2008 (Monday) - 10 articles
- September 5th, 2008 (Friday) - 3 articles
- September 4th, 2008 (Thursday) - 9 articles
- September 3rd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 21 articles
- September 2nd, 2008 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- September 1st, 2008 (Monday) - 8 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
|Mustangs to meet Riverfield in big district bout|
A Jason Grier field goal from 24 yards proved the difference Friday night as Porter's Chapel upended River Oakes, 17-15.
The Mustangs (1-1) had more trouble stopping the run than they did previously in the opening week against Riverdale.
Josh Perry led Porter's Chapel with 82 yards on 20 carries. The Mustangs had limited Riverdale to just 5 yards rushing in the season-opener.
Playing like a team determined to return the program to the playoffs this season, River Oakes mounted a courageous fourth quarter rally that came up a bit short.
River Oakes began the comeback by sending Gabe Bowers into the endzone on a 13-yard touchdown run. Bowers had 24 yards on six carries during the contest.
Mustangs quarterback Cody Trichell got the River Oakes on the scoreboard again a few minutes later when he found Will White streaking down the sideline for a 40-yard touchdown strike.
The Mustangs could not have been successful on either play had the offensive line not put the offense in a position to be successful.
River Oaks will turn its attention to Riverfield for one of the biggest district contest of the season. The contest will be played Friday or Saturday at River Oaks or ULM's Malone Stadium.
Practice was altered this week because of Hurricane Gustav.
"We got a practice in Monday," River Oakes coach Robert Hannah said. "We had to move into the gym on Tuesday."
While preparing for the passing attack and schemes of Riverfield, the Mustangs were hindered indoors in focusing on technique.
"Being in the gym, we were not able to work on technique like we would have liked," Hannah said. "We did get to show them what to expect from the Riverfield formations."
For an update on the time and location of the River Oaks/Riverfield ballgame, visit www.ouachitacitizen.com.