Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: Mustangs begin practice
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- July 31st, 2008 (Thursday) - 15 articles
- July 30th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- July 29th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- July 28th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- July 25th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- July 24th, 2008 (Thursday) - 4 articles
- July 23rd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 17 articles
- July 22nd, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- July 19th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- July 18th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- July 17th, 2008 (Thursday) - 8 articles
- July 16th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 16 articles
- July 15th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- July 14th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- July 13th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- July 11th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- July 10th, 2008 (Thursday) - 16 articles
- July 9th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 16 articles
- July 8th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- July 3rd, 2008 (Thursday) - 14 articles
- July 2nd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- July 1st, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
|Mustangs begin practice|
Getting a jump on everyone else, the River Oaks Mustangs cranked up their practice sessions this week to prepare for the first game of the season. The Mustangs, who begin play Aug. 22, are looking for some key players to fill some slots. The Mustangs play in the Mississippi Private School Association District 2-AA.
The River Oaks jamboree will be on Aug. 15 at Ferriday's Huntington School. The first home game will be Sept. 5 against Riverfield.
The start of River Oaks' season is two weeks prior to the start of the LHSAA season, which begins Sept. 5.
The Mustangs would like nothing better than to return to the form which saw them win the MPSA state 1A championship in 2005.
"We've got to find some people to fill some slots," said Mustangs coach Robert Hannah. "But we have a good core group coming back. We're having a good opening practice. We've got a lot of young kids and a lot of sophomores who need to step up. We had about 19 out today. When the junior high season ends, we'll end up with about 30."
Hannah has five players returning on offense and three players returning on defense.
Hannah will change both the offense and defensive allingment to better meet the needs of the team this season.
One of the bright spots in the upcoming season is the return of quarterback Cody Trichell, who will be a senior this year.
"River Oaks returns Trichell as our starting quarterback for the third year," Hannah said. "We will be moving to the shotgun/spread on offense with a valuable crop of receivers and running backs. The strength of our offense and defense will be speed and
Defensively we will move to a 5-2 with varying coverages. The reason for the changes is to take advantage of a veteran group of defensive backs and quick outside linebackers."
Hannah should know about making changes. After all, he's been the coach at River Oaks for the past 22 seasons. His overall record is 114-45. He's won one state title, six district titles and been in the state playoffs eight times.
Also returning for the Mustangs is Gabe Bower, a 5-10, 185 lb. running back, who was instrumental in helping the team last season.
Trichell will have some experienced wide receivers to throw to.
They are, John Rockett, a 5-11, 160 lb., junior; Lance Ginn a 6-1, 155 lb., junior; and Joseph Hakim a 5-11, 150 lb., sophomore, tight end.
Most of the players will play both ways. Bower will play linebacker, Trichell's a strong safety and Rockett will be linebacker, too. Ginn will be a defensive center. The offensive line will be a mostly veteran one with Joseph Matte, a 5-6, 205-lb. junior guard, Taylor Frith, a 6-1, 165-lb. senior center. Kaleb Legg, a 5-8, 165-lb. sophomore tackle, Seth Lawrence, a 6-0, 175-lb. sophomore tackle.
Hannah believes Trinity is the team to beat in the District 2-AA, even though Prairie View returns all everything quarterback Allen Spires to the fold.
"The title should be between Trinity and Prairie View ," Hannah said. "But I expect we'll be in this mix somewhere."
River Oaks jamboree will be on Aug. 15 at Ferriday's Huntington School. The first home game will be Sept. 5 against Riverfield.
River Oaks 7-4, 1-3
only Ouachita Parish team in MPSA
River Oaks 44, Riverdale 7
River Oaks 40, Porter's Chapel 0
Riverfield 21, River Oaks 0*
River Oaks 52, ACCS 7*
River Oaks 41, Tensas 12
River Oaks 21, Central Hinds 14
River Oaks 53, Glenbrook 46
Central Private 12, River Oaks 7
Trinity 32, River Oaks 29*
Prairie View 12, River Oaks 7*
River Oaks 29, CENLA 0
Aug. 22....River Oaks at Riverdale
Aug. 29....River Oaks at Porter's Chapel
Sept. 5.....Riverfield at River Oaks*
Sept. 12...River Oaks at Adams County*
Sept. 26....River Oaks at Central Hinds
Oct. 3.........Glenbrook at River Oaks
Oct. 10......Central Private at River Oaks
Oct. 17.......River Oaks at Trinity*
Oct. 24.......Prairie View at River Oaks*
Oct 31........River Oaks at CENLA
*Denotes district games