Should members of the LSU Board of Supervisors disclose who receives their scholarships?|
Story Archives: West Monroe official: Lowe's project still on track
- 2013 - 801 articles
- 2012 - 1954 articles
- 2011 - 2029 articles
- 2010 - 2139 articles
- 2009 - 2066 articles
- 2008 - 1757 articles
- December 2008 - 146 articles
- November 2008 - 147 articles
- October 2008 - 232 articles
- September 2008 - 189 articles
- August 2008 - 126 articles
- July 2008 - 147 articles
- July 31st, 2008 (Thursday) - 15 articles
- July 30th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 11 articles
- July 29th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 4 articles
- July 28th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- July 25th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- July 24th, 2008 (Thursday) - 4 articles
- July 23rd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 17 articles
- July 22nd, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- July 19th, 2008 (Saturday) - 1 articles
- July 18th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- July 17th, 2008 (Thursday) - 8 articles
- July 16th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 16 articles
- July 15th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 1 articles
- July 14th, 2008 (Monday) - 1 articles
- July 13th, 2008 (Sunday) - 1 articles
- July 11th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- July 10th, 2008 (Thursday) - 16 articles
- July 9th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 16 articles
- July 8th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- July 3rd, 2008 (Thursday) - 14 articles
- July 2nd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- July 1st, 2008 (Tuesday) - 2 articles
- June 2008 - 111 articles
- May 2008 - 147 articles
- April 2008 - 141 articles
- March 2008 - 125 articles
- February 2008 - 135 articles
- January 2008 - 111 articles
|West Monroe official: Lowe's project still on track|
While little work has taken place at the proposed site for a new Lowe's in West Monroe, the facility is still in line to be built, according to West Monroe city official.
City planner Bruce Fleming said Tuesday that Lowe's decided to redesign the proposed building and the company must re-submit plans to the city for approval.
Also, Entergy says it cannot relocate power lines to the proposed location until the demand for electricity slows down, Fleming said. Entergy probably will tackle the line relocation project in the fall when energy use is not as high as it is during summer months.
Engineers for Lowe's are currently working on the redesign of the building, Fleming said.
"It's going to happen. The wheels are turning, but sometimes they turn a little slow," Fleming said.
Once Lowe's is up and running, Fleming believes the business will spark more commercial development in that area.
In November 2007, The Ouachita Citizen reported that Lowe's Home Improvement Warehouse planned to build a 117,000-square-foot facility with a garden center and 500 parking spaces, according to documents filed with the city. Lowe's bought property next to Pizza Hut on Constitution Drive in West Monroe, which is also located near the new Academy Sports.
Fleming told The Citizen in November that nearby land is zoned commercial and having Lowe's in that area would open up that undeveloped land, spurring more economic development.
He said having Lowe's, along with Academy Sports, would more than fill the void that occurred when K-Mart closed its retail location in West Monroe several years ago.
Lowe's has declined to comment on the future of its Monroe store. Lowe's moved from West Monroe more than 10 years ago to open its new super center near Garrett Road and Interstate 20.
A spokesman for the company did say that it is not uncommon for Lowe's to operate two stores in a community if the community can support them financially.